Analog Doubt

ingenchicken

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to analog cameras world and looking forward to buy a KODAK Instamatic 155x. It was being sold really cheap online so I decided that i wanted to take it.
About Films, should I buy any specific one for it in order to it work properly? i'm really confused and just insecure about that.
If films doesn't really affect anything essecial-working on that camera than let me know that i'd be thankful.

And if it's your interest and want to discuss about it just comment i'll answer and please if possible help me out.

The Instamatic 155x uses 126 film, which is no longer manufactured. The last was made in ca. 2008. And I don't know of any processors who can still process the film.

If you want to invest in film cameras, you might consider 35mm or 120 roll film.

Stay away from 126. Get a manual 35mm camera like a Pentax K1000. Also stay away from 80's electronic shutter cameras like the Minolta X-370, 570, 700.

Posting this for the archives mainly but just in case anyone's truly jonesing for a solution:

That adapter looks a lot easier than what I did.......

I agree with pendennis, go with a 35 mm camera there are millions of them and they are not only inexpensive, there are plenty of cheap lenses for them. I did't bother with Instamatics when they were out and have no use for them now. Mostly crap lenses too. I used polaroids in my work in the 70's and same there. I thought they produced crap images in exchange for instant results. If you want instant results today, use your cell phone or digital. As for film, b&w hp5 is a 400 speed film I shoot pushed to 1600. 5 stops over exposed, FIVE STOPS, that would be a pure white image in digital, is exactly like the properly exposed one. New to film, shoot hp5. It is a medium contrast and if having it scanned, you can go into Nik silver efex and have total control of black point, white point and mid tones and create the look you like, not locked into blocked up shadows you can't recover or blown highlights. Sell that instamatic and get a 35 mm. For color, portra gives skin tones that can't be recreated in post, ask the F Stopper guys who tried for over an hour. it gives you a couple stops of room for error.

Chicken, welcome to TPF.
Not sure what your aversion is to using a real camera. If you must use something as simple as a 126, look into a Holga. The Holga will give you the same exact results but with a lot less effort to load and use 35mm film.
Just do what I did. All my film duties are handled by a Canon EOS 1n, that way I can use all the same lenses I use on my modern digitals. I'll admit I will get a much better results with my lenses than you will with a little plastic lens and maybe that's exactly what you're after. If so go with the Holga. Good luck...
SS

The Instamatic is what started this obsession for me about the age of 12 got the Boy Scout edition of the Instamatic for Christmas. You know the box that said "open me first".

Then a few years later my older bother came home from his tour in 'Nam with a range finder Ricoh 35mm and I was hooked from then on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back