Analog lens on digital SLR

Gnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I have a Canon EOS 10D camera, which I bought without any lens. Before I get a lens, in the meantime I will use my fathers lens for his analog EOS camera, which is about 10 years old.

I'm not interested in spending 300 dollars on a lens yet, so is there any point in buying a lens designed for digital cameras, is there any difference at all?

I know that this camera model is somewhat old, do you think it will fall back as technology develops, or do you think it will stand up against newer models for some time?

- Emil

All of Canon's EF lenses are made to work on all EOS cameras. So it's perfectly OK to use an older lens.

The 10D was certainly a good camera in it's day...and it's still a good camera, if it does what you want it to. One thing that the 10D is lacking, that most newer Canon DSLR cameras have...is compatibility with Canon EF-S lenses. These are Canon's digital only lenses. However, other companies like Sigma and Tamron make digital only lenses that should work.

Thanks for answering, you just saved me 100 bucks, which I'm going to spend on a fisheye instead :)

The 10D does what I want, I'm no pro at all, probably the biggest noob on this forum, but I went with it because I got a pretty good deal on it. I did see finer results with the 10D than the 350D, so I'm pretty happy.

Sounds like you got a good purchase, Gnome. Maybe from someone who upgraded to another EOS digital?

The only thing I'm sure you're missing with the older lens is a wide angle. Since there is a multiplication factor of something like 1.5x for that camera, you won't really have a wide angle lens. That is where you probably want to go with a digital-specific lens. I bet the EOS kit lenses are going for cheap on ebay...

Hey Gnome -

The 10D certainly is a nice camera - i've seen them in many places i happen to find myself. I am pretty sure if you start investing in top-shelf lenses, the bodies will come and go, but you can be sure those lenses will continue to perform brilliantly (especially as Canon continues it's commitment to their mount).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back