and here we go...Lighting, how to make work QQ

LFPrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been helping with photo shoots for a new/small biz my friend and I run.
We have a canon T3, stock everything.
I usually don't shoot too many pics but I notice at all the shoots the lighting is severely messed up. I am not the photo expert and have no prior background in photography.
My friend who takes the pics and sets things up has worked for a photography company but seems to know very little about fine tuning things...which leave me horrible pictures to edit for product.

We usually just use a back drop (10x10 for example)
This is the kit we use as well...e.e
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Photography/Video Studio Triple Lighting Kit with 10ft x 12ft Black, White and Green Muslins Backdrops and Background Support System with Case: Electronics

• Three (3) Compact fluorescent daylight balanced photo light bulbs, 40 Watt/5000K
  • Two (2) White 32" Umbrellas, Three (3) AC Adapters
  • Three (3) 10' x 12' Black, White, Green Muslin backdrops
  • One (1) Support System, includes support stand, 3-section cross bars
  • Two (2) Top quality Light Stands, One (1) Mini Light Stand, One (1) Carrying case for the support system

(yesss I know its garbage but it was all we could afford at first and with little knowledge of equipment purchasing).

Here are some example pics...
IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

Lighting comes out horrible 99% of the time...any suggestions based on equipment and shoot types we do?
PLEASE halp.
THanks

*edit*
I own the rights to all these images(copyright lollipop factory productions), I do not give permission for use of them outside this thread. (not that I would see why anyone would want to)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do not have enough experience in these types of lights to offer any help on lighting however I think all these pictures lack focus and composition. They are poorly executed and the models in bikini could be in better shape. The question I ask you is what kind of business do you run? I am not sure what you are selling here.....

These are the worst i have seen on here, your pop up flash would have done a better job sorry but you wasted $155

The lights are nowhere near powerful enough for what you're trying to accomplish. A setup with a few cheap monolights would be a million times better than trying to use the under powered constants you're using now.

Also, if you're going for a back drop, read up on how to build a setup. The black lego floor on a white sheet is just amateur. If you're charging people for these shots, you're doing a them a huge injustice and only hurting yourselves in the long run. Three monos with one umbrella and two gobos will look so professional up against that setup you're attempting to use now.

Read this and check out the photos to learn how you can also be a photographer (no seriously, Zack Arias is doing you a huge favor with this set of tutorials)
I've moved the blog –> zackarias.com/blog » White Seamless Tutorial :: Part 1 :: Gear & Space

And then actually learn about lighting.
Strobist: Lighting 101

If you don't know how to light then you'll always be grabbing at straws when handed a set of lights and told to postition them for a shoot. I know I'm sounding pretty harsh, but from these photos neither you nor your friend have any idea of what you're doing.

Edit: Cowboy studio equipment is crap. One of the cheapest kits worth buying that I can think of would be something like this:
Flashpoint FP320MPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit FP320MPWK

with this:
Flashpoint II FP320MK Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320MK

A set of radio triggers and a seamless background paper setup. You're looking at probably $750, but that's nominal in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
THANK you all for the input thus far. Yes, I know these pics suckkk and yes, we are profiting from them but this is after I edit them, which doesn't make it a better picture but helps a lot far as some details go. Thats one reason why I am seeking to learn more about lighting, so we can get some better pics. Also I am sure with better backdrop set up, etc will go a long way as well. We use the lego mats b/c its on the fly and sometimes involves people who have dirty feet/shoes, food, drinks. I am taking in every bit of info I can get out of the community tho.
Thanks

LFPrick said:
THANK you all for the input thus far. Yes, I know these pics suckkk and yes, we are profiting from them but this is after I edit them, which doesn't make it a better picture but helps a lot far as some details go. Thats one reason why I am seeking to learn more about lighting, so we can get some better pics. Also I am sure with better backdrop set up, etc will go a long way as well. We use the lego mats b/c its on the fly and sometimes involves people who have dirty feet/shoes, food, drinks. I am taking in every bit of info I can get out of the community tho.
Thanks

A couple of suggestions:

Use a thicker background and move the subject further away if you can. Use an iron/steamer to get rid of the wrinkles. Moving the subject a good distance from the background may help hide some of the wrinkles. Seamless paper might be a better way to go - not too expensive and you can use it as the background and floor. Nice "seamless" transition. When it gets dirty/wrinkled just cut it.

What settings were you shooting at with these...they somehow seem out of synch.

EXIF is in them. Last one shows 1/50th, f/3.5, ISO 800. It's cheap, dim continuous light that's the problem on the lighting. They needs strobes - badly.

EXIF is in them. Last one shows 1/50th, f/3.5, ISO 800. It's cheap, dim continuous light that's the problem on the lighting. They needs strobes - badly.

Yes, these are the settings I locked in and use on M mode. I figured these settings would help since we don't use a tripod.
So should we go away from the continuous lighting and use a flash set up?
Also will be taking candid pictures during events, some dark like the one we did at a rave. There was also lots of smoke and the black lights bleed over onto our left side of the drop.
I notice the camera has a hard time focusing on groups and sometimes individuals, idk if its b/c of the lighting or photographers movement.

Also, whats a good store/site I can get this "seemless paper" at?

Far as what we do, its model portfolios, pictures to put on posters and ads, live event photo booth type set up, candid photos. Pretty much w/e. Its more of a on the fly thing, we find a location to set up lights and drop to shoot the model/bikini girls for their work.
I want to find a way to maximize quality out of the t3 (crisp, clear pictures) learn to shoot at optimal angles/form and get proper lighting b/c it just looks horrible.

The photos are bad but I can edit them to an extent and the people are having fun getting pics taken which help make up for the lack of quality, which is in part sad but also has some pros.

Yes, these are the settings I locked in and use on M mode. I figured these settings would help since we don't use a tripod.
Get a tripod. Seriously.

Yes.

I want to find a way to maximize quality out of the t3 (crisp, clear pictures) learn to shoot at optimal angles/form and get proper lighting b/c it just looks horrible.
See above - tripod and strobes. Until you get strobes and a tripod, consider shooting outdoors on sunny days in the shade, or in rooms well lit by sunlight.

Any cheap but quality flash/strobe set ups you have in mind? Also what kind of settings should i lock in when using a tripod, whats a good height tripod for versatile use?
Thanks again

Any cheap but quality flash/strobe set ups you have in mind? Also what kind of settings should i lock in when using a tripod, whats a good height tripod for versatile use?
Thanks again
You should not "Lock In" ANY settings! You MEASURE the light and use the settings necessary for a proper exposure.

You need to learn exposure, composition, and lighting badly. Take a couple of classes or seminars, read some information on the internet. Here is a good place to start.

LFPrick said:
Also will be taking candid pictures during events, some dark like the one we did at a rave. There was also lots of smoke and the black lights bleed over onto our left side of the drop.
I notice the camera has a hard time focusing on groups and sometimes individuals, idk if its b/c of the lighting or photographers movement.

Also, whats a good store/site I can get this "seemless paper" at?

Far as what we do, its model portfolios, pictures to put on posters and ads, live event photo booth type set up, candid photos. Pretty much w/e. Its more of a on the fly thing, we find a location to set up lights and drop to shoot the model/bikini girls for their work.

The photos are bad but I can edit them to an extent and the people are having fun getting pics taken which help make up for the lack of quality, which is in part sad but also has some pros.

Adorama, amazon, eBay, probably bh photo - places to get seamless. If you have a camera store locally they might sell it.

Depending on the lens 1/50th is probably too slow for handheld shots.

Crisp, clear pictures depends on exposure, lighting and focus. Slower shutter speeds like 1/50th will probably need a tripod to get crisp clear shots as well.

Cameras can have a hard time focusing in low light. How are you focusing? Are you letting the camera choose the focal points or are you? Focus will probably be sharper when you choose a focus point and choose where to put it (like the eyes). The center point will probably lock focus easier in low light then the other ones.

A speedlight and a fast lens (a lens that has an aperture like f/1.8 or 1.4 or 2.8) will help for candid photos in dim lighting. But there aren't really any shortcuts - you are going to have to learn about exposure, how to meter, how to use strobes/flashes, how to position them, composition, etc.

I think someone already linked strobist.com. There are inexpensive flashes that you can set up off camera with umbrellas and soft boxes. Not sure about your camera but you might need to buy some triggers and receivers to control the flashes off camera. They will be more powerful then continuous lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back