And here's another one...

popoyaki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had enough of dealing with sales associates that can't provide me with proper advice and information. On my last trip to the store, when I asked an associate what were the major differences (and advantages) between the Nikon D40x and the D80, I was told "one has more buttons, and uhm, yeah, that pretty much sums it all." I continued the conversation, only to get told more stuff like that, he obviously didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about.

Anyways, I'm posting here for many reasons. I've been getting more serious about photography in the past 3 years, and I'm looking for advice. I currently own a Canon A620 (and previously an HP Photosmart point and shoot). I don't know if anyone here has one and can offer me some advice on how to put it to better use.

Lately, though, I've been seriously thinking of upgrading to a dSLR camera (I have a film SLR, the Canon EX Auto, I believe), and I'm not sure what would be the most suitable for me. I enjoy macro photography, landscapes, animals, and some portraits. So far, I was considering the Nikon D40, D40x, D60 or the Canon XT, XTi, but I want to keep my options open.

I just uploaded a few pictures I took to my flickr account. I should get more up this week. I'd appreciate, if anyone has time, any comments, good or bad, as they're what helps get better results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/popoyaki/

Sorry about the long post.

You've got some great pics! I'm a sucker for cats, so Rawr is my favorite!

I'm in the same boat, seriously considering upgrading to a DSLR from a DPAS. I have found that sales associates never give you the info you need - they either have no clue, or bury you with information that's hard to decipher, or purely said to sell the product (ie. lies)

Since you already have a Canon SLR, I believe if you bought a Canon DSLR you would be able to use the lenses you already have. Could save you some money, so maybe you could splurge on a fancy L lens!

I'm looking at the Rebel XTi, or their newest, the XSi. Considered the Canon 40D, but I think that the aditional features it has over the Rebel are more than I need.

Hope things work out!

When I went digi I walked into the Wolf store and got the same answer. Almost verbatim! I too was torn between the D40X and the D80. I came back and finally found someone who was passionate about shooting who gave me all the pros and cons. I quickly decided on the D80 with all the options that it offers. The D40X has quite a few limitations regaurding lens options.
I love my D80. So many possibilities.
I upgraded from an N65

I've had enough of dealing with sales associates that can't provide me with proper advice and information. On my last trip to the store, when I asked an associate what were the major differences (and advantages) between the Nikon D40x and the D80, I was told "one has more buttons, and uhm, yeah, that pretty much sums it all." I continued the conversation, only to get told more stuff like that, he obviously didn't have much of a clue what he was talking about.

Anyways, I'm posting here for many reasons. I've been getting more serious about photography in the past 3 years, and I'm looking for advice. I currently own a Canon A620 (and previously an HP Photosmart point and shoot). I don't know if anyone here has one and can offer me some advice on how to put it to better use.

Lately, though, I've been seriously thinking of upgrading to a dSLR camera (I have a film SLR, the Canon EX Auto, I believe), and I'm not sure what would be the most suitable for me. I enjoy macro photography, landscapes, animals, and some portraits. So far, I was considering the Nikon D40, D40x, D60 or the Canon XT, XTi, but I want to keep my options open.

I just uploaded a few pictures I took to my flickr account. I should get more up this week. I'd appreciate, if anyone has time, any comments, good or bad, as they're what helps get better results.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/popoyaki/

Sorry about the long post.

The D40/40X/60 does not have a focus motor. IF autofocus is important to you, you're limited to AF-S lenses. That's not a really big issue as there are many "S" lenses available. Unfortunately, there are a few "non-S" lenses that do not have "S" counterparts, e.g. 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 and 85 mm f/1.4 and f/1.8. They work just ducky but you need to remember to focus manually (there is a rangefinder aid).

On the other hand, the D40 gives you the most bang for the buck. The 40X has more pixels but I don't consider that to be a major concern as the "40" has plenty. The "40" has 1/500 flash sync and it's the only amateur Nikon body (DX sensor) that supports that speed. The 40X can sync to 1/200 (which I consider to be sufficient). I don't know the D60.

I have the D80. Its biggest advantage is its programmability. I can set it to automatically do exactly what I want it to do. Mechanically, it's honestly not much more capable than the 40 but it does have a focus motor so I don't need to think when I decide which lens to use. (I hate it when I have to think - it gives me one hell of a headache!) I can use the popup as the commander in a multiple flash configuration (the 40 requires an additional flash head) and it does support FP flash sync (with the 600 or 800 head) in addition to a regular flash sync of 1/200.

There's probably more that I should be telling you but that's the best that I can do right now.

If you have a Canon film SLR and some lenses for it, you might as well stick with Canon, especially if some of the lenses you have are pretty nice.

If you have a Canon film SLR and some lenses for it, you might as well stick with Canon, especially if some of the lenses you have are pretty nice.

The OP has a Canon EX Auto, which is not an EOS camera. The lenses won't fit on a Canon XT, XTi, XSi....

As other posters have noted - the D40 (and maybe D40X) does not have an autofocus motor...just look at the mount when the lens is off - there is no hole for one. This means you are stuck with a limited line of lenses that have it built in. A bad bad way to go, as far as I am concerned.

The d80 rocks (as far as I could tell when looking 6 months ago) but I didn'[t have the cash so went for the Canon XTI. I love it, does just what I need, and lens choice is huge and affordable (kind of).

Check out sites like dpreview.com, and do your homework. You'll have this camera for years and years (unless you're wealthy and can afford to upgrade at whim, in which case I hate you :sexywink:) so knowing the ins and outs is a great idea.

Good luck!

K8-90 & Mav: As it was already pointed out by Steph, the lenses I own cannot be used on the dSLR cameras. I had 4 of them, and from what I've been told (it was my dad's old camera), it's all that was available for that camera.

confucious: Nah, you won't have to hate me. I'm just finishing up my degree in journalism, so I don't have that much money to spend every year. Also, I get very attached to things, so I'd like to keep my camera for years, and instead buy some lenses and accessories to improve it.

Also, I get very attached to things, so I'd like to keep my camera for years, and instead buy some lenses and accessories to improve it.
That is a very good reason to go and put a D80 in your hands before you make a decision.

My short list was between the XT and the D40, thinking primarily for the Canon because I have a film body and lenses. Then I held and play with a D80.

Then last month I put a D300 in my hands.............................. I'm hopeless.

The OP has a Canon EX Auto, which is not an EOS camera. The lenses won't fit on a Canon XT, XTi, XSi....

That clears up a bit. If that is the case than he/she can go to any brand. To me for the price is nikon d40 or pentax k100. The cheapest canon is almost closing to d80 level, so I read in one review, you can see it at the link below. Read it until the Verdict so you know the whats and whys.

Depending on the budget though. For the non professional I won't recommend beyond the d40 price tag. In a year it should be enough time for the OP poster to decide if the upgrade is really needed. Welcome to the digital world. the world of illusion - for the many :).

Oh btw. I saw your cat photos there and the problem is my daughter has eleven cats and kittens. They were 13 last month but one was found dead 2 weeks ago and one followed the new attarctive boyfried and off she went. I hope the rest found their matches soon.:lmao:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/10Megapixel_DSLR_test/index.shtml

Most reactions

New Topics

Back