...And Now For Something Completely Different...(C&C)

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1)
Sunset on Lake Erie

3605642249_aa71039235_o.jpg

2)
Untitled
3601481932_b02aea71a9_o.jpg

3)
Riveting

3605641947_f2f18e8707_o.jpg

The last one I give a tip of the hat to Sherman Banks for making me think about images differently. I am interested in how these will be recieved. It seems most folks here enjoy images with straight forward subject matter.

Thanks for lookin'
David

These are pretty neat...they look just like modern paintings.

I know the first and third are pictures of rusting objects, but can't figure out what the second one is...looks like you took this picture from up high.

Actually found these images refreshing.

Pft. Straight-forward subject matter is overrated. I like #1, simply because it's a very interesting take on a "sunset".

My favourite is #3, because it's detailed yet has clearly defined lines and structure. And saturated colours. I'd love to see a good print of that (using the ProPhoto colour space, of course).

I like the colors in these. #3 is my favorite. Nice job.

Fantastic abstracts here David! I love them all :thumbup:! Very interesting interpretation of the first. I would not have seen it that way had you titled it something generic.

I love the contrast in color and the unique textures you have going on in the second. I don't know what I'm looking at and I'll ask you don't reveal it this time!

The images you used for the last shot are perfect in the series and a very well done play on lines.

Great work!! And like Samanax said, very refreshing to see something different like these.

I am interested in how these will be recieved.
Based on this comment alone, they don't do anything for me at all. I am not an artisitc photographer, carrying my camera around looking for the "shot of the day" is not what I'm interested in. It would be a different story if someone said to me, "go capture rustic images for $500", then I would become creative.

If anything, the last one sparked interest because I was trying to work out what it was.

Wow, I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at in any of these, and I think that is why I like them. I have a fondness for abstract art, so thank you for sharing.

3 is my fave - a well framed, geometric collage. Keep it up!

David, you are incredibly creative. I love that about your pictures. And I always enjoy your titles. Pic #1 made my head spin a little because I was looking for a way to see a sunset in that rust. Beautiful colors. Pic #2 I had to spend some time trying to figure out what it is. It definitely looks like it was shot from up high because of the shadow falling on the water (?). It just feels so HIGH up that I can't quite imagine what you were shooting from (a helicopter??). Pic #3 is also very nice. I love it as a collage. I wouldn't be surprised to see this framed in an office building somewhere. Nice work.

I LOVE these! Very abstract and artistic. The colors are SO great! #3 is definitely my favorite. It looks like something I would hang in my condo :) Nice work!

i like #2 the best, and i think...correct me if im wrong...it;s a shot of a dock or pier or just concrete next to a body of water...i see the corrugated steel, and grass growing in those little nooks where the concrete has deteriorated next to the steel...
nice one! :D

blank, could you explain how BJ's interest in how the images would be received ruined them for you?
i read your post a couple times, and maybe im soft, but im just not understanding...thanks!

These absolutely suck.

Seriously, why couldn't I have taken these?

Nice work man, very unique and the edit to #3 is my favorite.

I like them all. Took me a while to 'see' #1, but I think I know what you were going for now and I think it's great!

2 & 3 are good too. I don't know if I can pick a favorite. I would have said #3, but that was before I figured out #1.

blank, could you explain how BJ's interest in how the images would be received ruined them for you?
i read your post a couple times, and maybe im soft, but im just not understanding...thanks!

SrBiscuit, Blank was just heaping praise upon me, in his/her own special way. :greenpbl:

I am really surprised by all of the positive responses so far. In my short time here, I have seen the abstract met with a fair amount of disdain.

Thank you all for the comments. I been having an inner struggle with finding my view through the camera, as an artist. I was often unhappy with the "big picture" but kept finding smaller details within it. Now I am looking for the smaller details to shoot, and focusing in that direction. I am will continue shooting various subjects though, because I want to be well rounded. But what I have done here is an example of what I have found really exciting in the art of photography.

What I have started to do too, is if I find a small detail in a larger picture, I'll go back and shoot that detail so I have more printing options.

musicaleCA, this is the first image that I have had the desire to print and frame. I'll have to look into the "ProPhoto colour space". I have never assigned color profiles to images before. More learning.

SrBiscuit nailed what the second image is. It was shot from a bridge, looking nearly straight down into the shipping/industrial area of the Cuyahoga River. There are more bridges I have to visit around here :)

Again, thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.

OH, OH!! I sense the masses are waiting for "Mr Negative's" reply.

The shots themsleves do nothing for me. As I said, I am not an artistic photographer, and to me these are artistic shots, in the sense of "camera in hand, inspire me world". I'm not a fan of abstract work either. I never bashed the shots, actually, the only reason why I replied was because of Bitter Jeweler's curiousness on how they would be received. He has had 10 people say they like them, I was the black duck that said I didn't. Sorry.

You know when your in an art gallery and your standing next to people and listening to them trying to decipher the hidden meaning of an artist dropping a bucket of paint on a canvas after he tripped over his kids bike, then there's that putrid character that has the nerve to say to you, "are you on crack?"...I'm that guy!!

If Bitter Jeweler's post had of required a negative comment, I would not have replied at all. As I have replied to a few posters on here, photography is personal perception, thats all. What Bitter Jeweler and obviously 10 other people think is fantastic, I have an opinion of "meh". I'm willing to bet there are more who have the same "meh" opinion, but they declined to comment, that's fine too. That is why I quoted his sentence in my reply.

Actually, I have seen this guy from day 1 do nothing but ask lots of questions, join a social group and be very involved. That's good, just what this site needs. No offence Bitter, can't please everyone.

Hope I cleared things up for you.

Most reactions

Back