...And Now For Something Completely Different...(C&C)

blank, could you explain how BJ's interest in how the images would be received ruined them for you?
i read your post a couple times, and maybe im soft, but im just not understanding...thanks!

OH, OH!! I sense the masses are waiting for "Mr Negative's" reply.

The shots themsleves do nothing for me. As I said, I am not an artistic photographer, and to me these are artistic shots, in the sense of "camera in hand, inspire me world". I'm not a fan of abstract work either. I never bashed the shots, actually, the only reason why I replied was because of Bitter Jeweler's curiousness on how they would be received. He has had 10 people say they like them, I was the black duck that said I didn't. Sorry.

You know when your in an art gallery and your standing next to people and listening to them trying to decipher the hidden meaning of an artist dropping a bucket of paint on a canvas after he tripped over his kids bike, then there's that putrid character that has the nerve to say to you, "are you on crack?"...I'm that guy!!

If Bitter Jeweler's post had of required a negative comment, I would not have replied at all. As I have replied to a few posters on here, photography is personal perception, thats all. What Bitter Jeweler and obviously 10 other people think is fantastic, I have an opinion of "meh". I'm willing to bet there are more who have the same "meh" opinion, but they declined to comment, that's fine too. That is why I quoted his sentence in my reply.

Actually, I have seen this guy from day 1 do nothing but ask lots of questions, join a social group and be very involved. That's good, just what this site needs. No offence Bitter, can't please everyone.

Hope I cleared things up for you.
None taken, really. :thumbup:

I can understand you just not liking abstract art.
Negatives won't bother me, but I was hoping for the negatives to be more along the lines of why compositions don't work.

Thank goodness for something different from the usual run of the mill stuff;definitely my kind of shots!

I really like #3...caught myself going back to it several times to admire it...:thumbup:

Very sharp. I'm totally in love with #1. I saw the sunset imagery and was instantly taken to teenage memories of watching the sun dance on the water. A time when you didn't worry about your mortgage or bills. All you had to do was relax and enjoy the moment.

Thank you.

The colors in 1 and 3 make them appealing despite the abstract-ness, and the black borders in 3 also add interest, but 2 doesn't seem very colorful or appealing to me. The water seems dirty and the ground and wall are not interesting enough to support the photo I think.

Excellent work. My only disappointment is that I have to look at JPGs of them, I bet the prints are much better.

gotchya, blank...abstract isn't for everyone.

fair 'nuff :D

They sure are diffrent, and I like them. I cant help to guess at them lol.

1. a barrel

2. an old unused concrete bear at the side of a lake.

3. a bridge

The water seems dirty and the ground and wall are not interesting enough to support the photo I think.

Fair enough. One of my thoughts with the composition and the debris in the water, is that it echoed the debris on the concrete. Thanks for your comments.

Again thanks for all the comments.

Iron Flatline...I am looking into getting some printing done. The triptych (sp?) is the first that I have really wanted to print. I am trying to decide if I want 3 seperate framed images, or 1 matted like the black framing. I am going to order this on various papers from Adorama and see how they come out. then decide.

c0ps, 1. is from the area of the axel from a train wheel, 2. is the concrete from an industrial area on the Cuyahoga River, taken from a bridge. And #3 did indeed come from part of a bridge.

I'm kind of torn. I love them, I think the colors are fantastic, the lines are well-placed the composition perfect. I enjoyed your interpretation of number one, as well as the layout of number 3. Technically, they look perfect to me.

After glancing at them though, I'm with Blank. I'm not much of an artistic photographer. I truly appreciate the things that people do with a camera especially your talent, but I'm one of those "subject-oriented" people. To each her own!

Bitter Jeweler, fantastic job, I did enjoy them and I appreciate their quality and your vision, just not for me!

Bitter, awesome pictures. I'm not usually a fan of the abstract (because I'm too much of a simpleton to understand them) but I love the third picture and the first one made me stare for quite awhile, which I think is the point of abstract art lol

BTW I got a medical discharge from the Air Force so I'm back in Cleveland, probably for good. Next time you go out shoot me a message or something. I know you gave me your number once but last time AT&T hated me I must have lost it (just looked and it's not in there).

....I truly appreciate the things that people do with a camera.....

This seems the operative concept to me. I enjoy impressionist and abstract art, etc. The fact these images were produced w a camera is what's interesting (#3 :thumbup:). Taking a hard plastic/metal box-like device with some glass and buttons and producing images which invoke ideas and opinions. Pretty cool.

How much of the image making was right from the box-like device, or how much was done in post....that is the challenge for me (my issues mostly reside in the "box-like device"). But it doesn't really matter. The images stand on their own.

Good work.

Thanks for re-posting, Bitter. I was not on tpf when you first posted these, so I've never seen them. The third is spectacular and not at all like the first two. I love what you've done with the overall composition with repeating elements and patterns. The first works well as an abstract which might suggest sunset or any other thing that a viewer might pull out of their brain (abstracts really are like ink blots in that way). The second doesn't work as well for me for the reason someone stated earlier, i.e., the flecks in the water don't fit with the rest of the image for me. I think it actually might be better cropped close to what look like gear teeth, leaving some dark area, but no flecks. Just my two cents.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back