Andromeda Galaxy

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was mildly successful a couple nights ago in getting some imaging time on the Andromeda Galaxy. It's our closest galactic neighbor and is so large, if it were visible to the naked eye, it would be nearly four times the size of the moon in the sky. My telescope is too narrow a FOV to capture the entire galaxy in one image. The bright spot to the left is actually a second, satellite galaxy known as M32. I unfortunately under exposed my individual frames so I couldn't pull much data out of it. As a result, I converted to monochrome because the color data was pretty poor and just too noisy. I particularly like the darker gas spiraling into the core.

-Celestron 8" SCT scope (2000mm focal length)
-D800
-25 x 190sec exposures (1hr 19min total integrated exposure)
-Stacked with Deep Sky Stacker
-Finished in PS and LR

2019-09-07_12-18-36.jpg

Is it naturally black and white?
No, well, not really. It is comprised of many gasses, just like our own galaxy, and each type of gas produces a different wavelength of light. If you capture it in a one shot color image, like any DSLR, you will get a more true to life color image. In reality it's a lot more complicated than that, but had I properly exposed my images, i probably could have had good colors to work with.

Wonderful and must have been incredible processing this one. Hope to see many more from you on this!

Fascinated by this. Would love to read more about your process for taking this type of photo and the processing.

Love this! I’m confused though, because I’m pretty sure Andromeda galaxy can be seen with the naked eye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back