D850 (2nd Shot)
f/3.5
ISO 64
1/25 Sec.
70 - 200 mm - f/2.8E FL ED VR
130 mm

Off Camera Light Center

(Processed In LR & Silver Efex Pro 2)

I attempted with these shots to clone out that funky "catch light." Hopefully, it does not look to terrible.

20180403-untitled-86-Edit.jpg

20180403-untitled-70-Edit.jpg

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Enezdez

I am not an expert at people photography, but if I had to choose then #2 would be my choice. The pose and lighting are good and it just looks nicer.

I am not an expert at people photography, but if I had to choose then #2 would be my choice. The pose and lighting are good and it just looks nicer.

Thanks @Fujidave !

Definitely #2; I'm not sure I'm entirely in love with the processing, but that's a personal artistic choice. The pose and camera angle work VERY well, and her expression makes it. In #1, you're shooting from too low an angle for this to really work as a portrait, IMO - when we look up to the subject we (the viewer) are in a subordinate position, when we look down on the subject, they are in a subordinate position. Your first image would be much more appropriate for a banker, high-end CEO, or someone who is in charge of something and wants to demonstrate that to the viewer.

Without being able to drill down to the details, hard to tell on cloning out the catch lights but what I do see looks good. I also prefer #2.

Those eyes need to show some life, i.e., they need catchlights. Removing the catchlights, however interesting they were, leaves them unnatural and distant. I also prefer the second image to the first.

The first one is under exposed and the second one had an awful looking yellow tint on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has a fascinating, strongly-contoured face and chin. She's gorgeous, and exotic-looking in terms of facial build. I'm not fond of wide framing on close-in portraits, as in #1...the top of the head crowds the top of the frame, and there's a lot of uninteresting,empty space on either side of her...a wide framing on a picture like this one almost always looks unbalanced. With the camera low like this, it doesn't make sense to me to frame this low vantage point of us looking at her as a horizontal...there is simply just not a subject/frame agreement. Her chin is low in the frame, her head is way high...this is simply not elegant composition and framing.

Shot #2 on the other hand, is a vertical, and we can see more of her,and more of her clothing, and her direct, straight-ahead gaze basically works, mostly, with the framing and the lighting.

If there's anything that could be changed post-capture, it would be to process these in a version that leaves in the catchlights, no matter what type of light they were created by; with the catchlights cloned out, the eyes lose their sparkle. I think shot #1 could look better if it were brightened up a bit.

It sure is interesting to compare and contrast the degree of facial structure that #1 shows, compared against shot #2; her facial shape is exotic, in the sense that it's super well-defined, and very "contoured", naturally. What a great subject she is! Shot #1 shows off the face and chin shapes, shot #2 minimizes them.

Good work cloning out the odd catch lights. However, as Texxters says they look a bit flat without any catchlight at all.

:biglaugh:You can't win! I must be in a picky-picky mood this morning or something. ;)

You can always "add back" catch lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back