Angled Shots

Royal Photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are they really so bad? I post on another forum and they give me a ton of flack for taking pictures of ordinary items at an angle to add some interest (my opinion anyways). Is it too cliche? Bad altogether? Is there a right way and a wrong way to take them? I've posted a few of my examples so you can see what they're criticizing.

3177973485_ab197cdeb8.jpg

3091350426_3f5826401b.jpg

2997634756_9bf9fa8c27.jpg

Thanks!

They're claiming that my angled shots have no "design elements" and I have no idea what they are trying to say. Any thoughts?

To my mind, photos with water in them don't lend themselves well to angled shots, as they give the feeling the photo might run dry at any time too.
So, much unlike Michael, I think of the three on offer, only the last allows for a slanted angle, as it is the foliage that is the primary subject and the slanted lawn only really shows later.

In the case of the dog pic, it is all the same, anyway. Takes a while to even see that it is slanted.

All that said, I must admit that I personally do not like angled photos at all. Not one of them... but that's a question of liking or not liking, so that doesn't count.

I like an occassional angle thrown in for variety, but I agree that the last one there is *really* jarring. It really threw me. Maybe not use quite so much of an angle when you decide to use it, keep it subtle. Moderation, as in most things, is the key.

I try not to do it often but when I do it's to fit the subject in or add interest. I didn't think they were horrible so I am looking for different eyes to tell me what's up.

I have noticed with photography it is very opinionated. If you took one photo of a sunset and had 20 people look at it you will get 3 comments saying they like and the rest of the people saying the lighting is off, it needs a horizon tilt level and so forth. I think sometimes people go over board and forget what photography really is. Everyone has there style and tweaks they like to do with there photos and there people that are going to like there style and tweaks and there's people that are not. Same thing applies to art. Thats why when I post a photo on here to get CC I don't take anything to heart what people say. I know in my mind they just didn't like my style.

Just as the poster above me says, I've found things are very opinionated and vary from person to person. I suppose that holds true to all art forms.

Personally, I enjoyed all of your angled shots.

Just as the poster above me says, I've found things are very opinionated and vary from person to person. I suppose that holds true to all art forms.

Personally, I enjoyed all of your angled shots.

I'm a big fan of them. In fact, in most cases, a slight tilt can make any photograph look better. A lot of people try to stay away from them because they are so widely used. I enjoy them.

Nice shots.

Thanks, I guess it is personal preference but they were giving me such a hard time that I figured it was reaaaaaaaally bad and needed a second opinion, desperately.

Yes, the Christmas tree to be exact

Most reactions

New Topics

Back