Anna Ruby Falls

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Too bad these didn't come with sound. Beautiful spot!

Very nice shots smoke, lovely colourful and so peaceful looking.

Very nice shots smoke, lovely colourful and so peaceful looking.

I was really trying to slow down on these, Concentrate more on pre-planning a final vision. These were all done in LR no presets, no composite (except the pano) using some new ideas I've come up with on processing

Too bad these didn't come with sound. Beautiful spot!

Nd filters smooth out the sound too. wouldn't work.

Yup, but in this case no ND filters used. Had them in the bag but didn't need them. This is a deep gorge up the mountain with heavy shade.

Last edited:
Nice locations, good compositions, good shutter times for the various water-representations, but IMHO, the contrast between the shadows and the highlights is a bit too much, a slight bit jarring. I just do not like the way the lighting has been rendered. Very dense blacks, and very bright highlights, and a mid-tone range that just does not feel quite right.

@Derrel Much as I'd like to claim full responsibility for the light, it's pretty much WYSIWYG. The dynamic range from the top of the gorge to bottom seemed like a gazillion stops. The blacks and shadows were lifted, the highlights lowered and selective burning and dodging on both to even out the image. Part of it may be the lower web resolution. In the original on the monitor there is a lot of detail showing in the shadows.

Part of it may be my style as I lean more toward the extreme detail of photorealizm. In the last photo of the falls, see the ant on the log????LOL The style doesn't suit everyone.

These are very nice. #2 is my fav. #1 seems to have a lot of green in the water ... maybe a B&W on #1. For my tastes, on #3 and #4 ... just seems to be on the edge of looking purposely over-processed ... an edge where nobody wins. Being over-processed is okay if if is purposeful ... but on the edge one wonders if it was purposeful or what ...?

Over-processed, as Gary mentioned...yeah, my feeling as well. I try to avoid using that description most days, but if the shoe fits...

These are very nice. #2 is my fav. #1 seems to have a lot of green in the water ... maybe a B&W on #1. For my tastes, on #3 and #4 ... just seems to be on the edge of looking purposely over-processed ... an edge where nobody wins. Being over-processed is okay if if is purposeful ... but on the edge one wonders if it was purposeful or what ...?

I'm slightly confused because in a previous thread with the first image of the same series you called that one "nice" The processing except for the shadow recovery and highlights on the last two, is the same, thanks to the synch button. So what changed?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back