Another Cute Couple!

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
Not bad at all - the one glaring issue I see is the over-bright/blown backgrounds. Better balance would have this set from "not bad" to WOW!

Not bad at all - the one glaring issue I see is the over-bright/blown backgrounds. Better balance would have this set from "not bad" to WOW!

I really need to order my real reflector.. my homemade one was just not catching ANY light for whatever reason yesterday. I'm bummed about the blown backgrounds. ;\

A reflector is a reflector is a reflector (okay, some are better than others, but not this much better); spending $200 on a fancy 60" Lastolite reflector is NOT suddenly going to be the miracle solution. What these images need is MORE light, specifically a nice, big, diffused light source. These sort of situations are exactly why I have a both monolights and pack & head lights that will run off of my inverters, so when needed, I can put "big light" in the field. Even a single speedlight into an umbrella or softbox would have helped a lot.

A reflector is a reflector is a reflector (okay, some are better than others, but not this much better); spending $200 on a fancy 60" Lastolite reflector is NOT suddenly going to be the miracle solution. What these images need is MORE light, specifically a nice, big, diffused light source. These sort of situations are exactly why I have a both monolights and pack & head lights that will run off of my inverters, so when needed, I can put "big light" in the field. Even a single speedlight into an umbrella or softbox would have helped a lot.

I'm certainly not spending 200 on a reflector.. lol I'd just like one that's actually intended to be a reflector. I should take a photo of mine.. haha I think the problem is that I cut it a little smaller just before the shoot because the other day it was too big to handle and the wind kept taking it so I figured making it a little smaller would be easier on me. Unfortunately it was no easier to handle and then didn't work well at all. I think I'm going to look into an easy set up for some off camera flash. I can't lug much around with my 1 year old already in tow every time I shoot but I might be able to handle a single speedlight and something to diffuse.

A decent speedlight (GN 100+), stand and Lastolite-style collapsible softbox would be a good start. A pair of inexpensive Yongnuo triggers and you're off to the races. A tip for the do-it-yourself reflector crowd: Check out local sign shops. They often have lots of scrap Coroplast that you can either have free, or for minimal charge for larger pieces. You can but holes in, bend it to suit... very useful stuff!

Yes, exposing for the background and then lighting your subjects with just a tiny bit of flash helps a lot. I've been learning it myself lately.

I have Neewer strobes, had them for 18 months and they still work fine. For the price they make good stuff. :)

My favorite is the black and white, as it 'pops' the most...is crisp...and classic.
Maybe there is something wrong with me, I'm not a fan of people in color. :/

What you are proving here is you have an eye and a passion. All you need is a light or two and you will be producing some killer photos! Loving your work lately!

Thank you both! I think that b&w might be my favorite of all.

Going to see if I can get hubby to agree to letting me purchase some stuff to get some flash going. Fingers crossed! Lol

I think the tendency to like b&w over color, in a general sense, is because our eyes tend to get 'lazy' for lack of a better word, in color. ...but with black and white, we tend to see more detail pop. Maybe we are noticing it more, or looking for it...idk. But, I prefer people in in black and white. Animals...in color.
I'd like to see you take this same couple, who's so in love and adorable...the entire project in black and white. I think that would be very cool! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back