Another Filter Question

M @ k o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got my Pol filter in and had a question to ask any of you.

On my Hoya 55mm Pitch:0.75 Cir. , in the case it has a Alert message that sayz...

UV Alert
! (UVA:320nm-380nm)
!! (UVB:280nm-320nm) What does this mean?

Also, can I just keep my UV filter on when using a polorized filter? I'll be testing it at the beach tomorrow. Thanks you for any help.

I dunno what the alert means. But UVA and UVB are just two different types of Ultraviolet rays. And these are the 2 that most sunscreens protect you from, some only protect you from UVA.
The numbers are just the wavelengths of these two types of light. Hope that helps.

Someone else will have to help you out with what the alert means.

Thx for replying Meysha. Do think it will be ok using the UV with the Pol filter. If I had to guess, I would say yes. But, I'm in a learning stage right now.

Thx again :hug::

I'm learning too and google is my friend. ;-)
So I search and found a few sites. I reckon it's fine. The only thing you've got to keep in mind is the more glass you put infront of the lens the worse the photo is going to turn out. Not saying it's going to come out bad - but you might have a bit of degradation. Also if you put too many filters on you'll start to get some vingetting which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

Have fun at the beach and don't you dare let any sand get in your camera. Or sea water. I used to take my Video camera out on our boat all the time and the ocean air and hot sun just ripped the innards to bits. All the capacitors leaked and well it was a too expensive to repair. But this won't happen to you. That video camera practically lived on the boat.

You know Meysha , you appear to be a cool person, Thx for your info. I kinda like this forum and seeing all the talent and amazing photos in here. One day I'll produce something that pleases someones eye. Rgrt on the sand....lol. Have a great weekend and hope that your 40 dayz fly by quick. Thx again. 8 )

Meysha said:
these are the 2 that most sunscreens protect you from

They may be alerting the user that these won't protect you completely from UV rays were you to try to use it somehow for that (like eyeglasses or something???).

Thatz kinda what I thought KSmattfish, I'll be taking a few shotz today, hopefully I'll get a few good ones to post. Thx for replying KS. Have a great day !

Strange, I had the exact same warning message in my hoya r72 IR filter. I also couldn't figure it out, epsecially taking into account that the IR filter isn't supposed to pass the stated wavelengths :scratch:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back