Another first wedding

niccig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.niccigilland.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot my very first wedding on Saturday! I was assisting/2nd shooting, so there was no pressure at all (whew!), but I didn't get to do any of the formal shots. So here are a few, tell me how I did - I can take it!

pattycarl004.jpg

pattycarl012.jpg

pattycarl021.jpg

pattycarl027.jpg

pattycarl045.jpg

pattycarl029.jpg

pattycarl038.jpg

pattycarl049.jpg

pattycarl018.jpg

pattycarl055.jpg

There were definitely a LOT that were completely mis-exposed (I chalk it up to crazy backlighting fooling the meter), so I definitely need to work on that part. I'd like to learn how to use my flash (sb800) to the best effect possible - I have the diffuser dome, but I'm looking at getting a lightsphere, or maybe just making "a better bounce card." Any tips on composition, lighting, equipment (I need faster lenses!), etc are appreciated!

Looks like you did a great job. The color & WB look pretty good.

That looks like a pretty tricky lighting situation...lots of back light. I'm not sure a bounce card or accessory will help all that much...the thing to practice is balancing flash with ambient and knowing what FEC to use and when.

Quite good for a first, the results should inspire you to continue. Personally, I'd alter pics #2 and #8 to bw, but that's just my pref, though I think they'd look swell in bw. Definitely keep at it!
Greetings from D.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! After looking through the photos a bit more I think I definitely need to work on
a) filling the frame (for some reason this has never been an issue for me in other types of photography, but I just didn't seem to have a handle on it for the wedding)
b) less camera tilt - I think I tried to get way too artistic, at least for a first attempt

Most reactions

Back