What's new

Another flash question

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I just signed up for a course that requires a flash. I own a Sony a300. I just spent 10 minutes looking at the 2 flashes I am looking at buying for my camera and I pretty much didn't understand a word the product descriptions said. Would someone mind taking a look at the 2 different ones I'm considering and give me some suggestions?

Flash 1:
Canon PowerShot G10 - Digital cameras - Don's Photo | Specifications[name]=Sony-HVL-F42AM-Flashes-and-speedlights&catalog[product_guids][0]=3e3004c0-e3d7-464c-95fb-2b059984d14b

Flash 2:
Canon PowerShot G10 - Digital cameras - Don's Photo | Specifications[name]=Sony-HVL-F58AM-Flash-Unit-for-%CE%B1-%28alpha%29-DSLR-Cameras-Flashes-and-speedlights&catalog[product_guids][0]=981cfc4e-6513-40ed-9978-e6979dc7c5fa
 
I don't think those links are what you had in mind.

The first one the Sony HVL-F42AM should suit your purposes just fine. The F58AM has essentially the same features but is more powerful, which is why it costs more.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I think the Sony HVL-F42AM should be fine.

The Sony HVL-F58AM is more powerful and the head will swivel right around both ways, but I think it's a little more than you need. But if you can afford it it'll be more versatile.
 
I have a lot of learning to do yet, and I could always upgrade to the bigger, fancier one when I find I'm at that point I guess eh?
 
As you get into flash you soon discover one isn't enough. I have 4 speedlights now and am looking to add at least 2 more in the next week or so.

Don't look at the www.strobist.com web site.
 
i just received my 42, and the head swivels from elft to right (horizontally)... the only difference is the strength. thats it... I tried both out ebfore i made a purchase. and heck sometimes even the 42 was too bright!
 
That's good to know barfastic - I'm going to be picking up the 42 in a few days :)
 
its pretty awesome, only thing that has let me down, is that when its off camera (wireless) u cant continious shoot, because the flash on the camera body is used asweel, and it cant fire that quick :(
 
I do not know too much about your flash. But if the flash is in full power, it may take few seconds for it to charge up the capacitor. Can you manually lower the flash power? i.e. 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16? (make sure you have good batteries too)
 
no the external flash unit is real good, fires of like 5 times a second, faster than what my camera can shoot at. the on body (built in) camera is slow
 
I see what you mean now. So the off camera flash is a optical slave and triggered by the on-camera flash.

Maybe time to look into Radio triggers. ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom