Another Flower Shot.

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
***NEW IMAGE ADDED AT END***

I am still having trouble getting the depth of field broad enough to get the tops all in focus, yet still blurring the bottoms. Catching blown reflection continues to be a problem. Grrrr...

Shot with the 100mm 2.8
F/22
This is the first time I tried using flash, and I created a complex set up of paper to bounce all around.

4341973169_e9c5be6075_o.jpg

Last edited:
Looks OK, but I see what you mean about the DOF... Have you ever tried focus stacking?

That might be the only way to get the DOF you need...

The picture is horrible. It's most likely due to that crappy lens. Just ship it to me and I'll take the piece of junk of your hands. PM for address.

. . . :(

Looks OK, but I see what you mean about the DOF... Have you ever tried focus stacking?

That might be the only way to get the DOF you need...

Gah, I keep forgetting about that! I have seen it mentioned so many times on bug macros. Excellent OIIIIIIO!

Felix, :lmao: NO!

Bitter, have you tried moving the lens away from the object and just creating the final output as a crop of the original? Depending on the limitations of resolution, I would imagine no issue at even an f/4 of getting the entire ring in focus.

I have taken pictures farther away, but the problem still remains. I am not trying to get the whole ring in focus. Just the top "1/2"ish. Even farther away, it's tons of trial and error to find that perfect distance and f/stop to focus the top, and blur the bottom.

OIIIIIO hit the nail on the head with his suggestion. Take a shot focusing on the front, and then focusing on the back, and merging the two. I think that will really allow me to capture the look I am going for.

Resolution isn't a problem. Images of my jewelery are mainly for the web, or small print. Thanks for your help, and giving me something to think about, camhabib. :thumbup:

A tilt/shift lens or a bellows that has some front standard tilt would make your life easier. You are running into a "classic" example of the placement of depth of field with a fixed-lens [ie non-movement] camera and lens combination. I know it's a somewhat costly tool, but this is one area where Canon's 90mm tilt/shift or Nikon's TS-E macro lens would make getting depth of field "across the tops" dead-easy and really quite simple. I look at a lot of jewlery photography done by the Ross Simon people...I'd swear they are still doing some of their larger catalogue photos using view cameras,with movements for perspecrtive correction and for precise focus placement.

A MUCH cheaper alternative would be to look into something like the Zoerk Multi-Focus ystem, so that you could use any number of different standard macro lenses, and easily get front standard movements that would allow you to place the depth of field plane running the way YOU want it to go. Last time I checked the adapter was $599. It's a lifetime grade accessory,and yet is several times less-costly than the TS/E 90mm from Canon.

Tilt

Anyone who says this doesn't look great is BSing you. GJ!

I appreciate your DOF issue. Interesting insight from Derrel.

I have a whole new appreciation for product photography after trying to take my own pics for a recent Ebay auction. They were terrible. I tried to get fancy and apply lessons picked up here and there. Then time got short and I had to put up what I had. Fortunately my item sold in spite of a bad photographer. :D

I have a great deal of respect for this type of photography done well. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Rez. It's good, but not great. Still learning to achieve 'great'.
Thanks Derrel. I really want a Tilt shift lens, but didn't think I would find enough uses to warrant the expense. Maybe the business will buy it for me next Xmas. ;)

For now I think focus stacking is the cheapest effective alternative. Can't wait for the next cool job I can photograph to give it a try.

Bitter Jeweler, you jerk. Maybe a warning in the title next time?

My fiancee just walked past and saw those rings. Now she's all "ooooh shinyprettywantwantwant." Thanks a lot. :grumpy:

:lmao:

I want those flowers in my garden this year! Yep another girl comment :blushing:

I can tell you spent a lot of time with the lighting. Before I got interested in photography I never knew what went into or appreciated the lighting in a shot like this.

I tried focus stacking.
As you change focus, the size of the subject changes, and that makes it difficult to line up the shot, because you are guessing at the percentage to resiz one of the images. Guess I'll have to get a Tilt-Shift. :lmao:

The image below was not "focus stacked".

I tried something different with the flash though. I took 2 pieces of white paper, and made a long "bar" with them taped in the middle, then taped above and below the flash head. Making a half tube, essentially. I also used the "filter" on the flash (580Xwhatever) to spread the light. I think this is an easy method for softer shadows.

4349615353_54fc81e36d_o.jpg

That last photo is outstanding.

I am not an expert, but I did something one day that made some of my photos a little easier, although the particular lighting may not work.

I was photographing shiny covered books, also for web shots and Power Point presentations.

I went outside on a bright sunny day, in a lightly shaded area. I was able to get great photos of the book covers.

Just a thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back