Another from my first wedding...

I really like the concept. I don't see why its being labelled childish as if it were a bad thing. Its playful and I'm willing to bet the couple will like it. Wish you hadn't clipped her arm though. Lol getting married does not mean you must immediately age and be serious at all times or even that all wedding photos must be romantic and sophisticated.

I really like the concept. I don't see why its being labelled childish as if it were a bad thing. Its playful and I'm willing to bet the couple will like it. Wish you hadn't clipped her arm though. Lol getting married does not mean you must immediately age and be serious at all times or even that all wedding photos must be romantic and sophisticated.

No, but wedding photography is generally quite demanding of class and sophistication. As part of a set, this image may work better as it was originally posted. As it stands alone in this thread, I've rendered my input based on what I've seen.

My apologies for posting an opinion based on experience.

Thanks and my clients loved the idea and like I said to Tyler I shot in with the idea that I get two images out of it and change the mood completely with my latest edit. Maybe I should just hold out and post a full set next time.

+1 It depends on the couple's personalities and the photographer's style. I wouldn't shoot that if the couple prefers fine art style. Although, I'd shoot it with shallower DOF though.

The image with the bridal party "peeping" at their under the pier kiss is a cute idea. It's whimsical, playful, supposed to be fun. Cropping out the bridal party turns a concept photo into a bad snapshot with way too much top space allocated, and the couple way low in the frame. Apparently, there are some who equate whimsical and playful with being "childish", as if a grown man and his bride kissing can ever be "childish". The idea that wedding photography is demanding of class and sophistication, but that nothing "fun" or "offbeat" or "whimsical" ought to be included in wedding photography is ridiculous. Truly sophisticated wedding photography work has room for self-awareness, and a few shots that are done that reflect that the people involved actually are aware that they are merely players on a stage, for a day makes sense in a mature wedding photographer's repertoire.

What the original needs is some capable dodging and burning. It looks very "flat" and low in contrast, and the wedding party appear a bit light. The file needs some finesse applied to it, and it looks like it's just a straight conversion. The rust is an interesting issue: to clone it out and make the location look cleaner and newer, or to leave it in. That could go either way I suppose. Some people cannot stand what time and salt water actually does to wood. Other people understand the patina of age that saltwater so quickly brings to metal and wood.

Again, the image could be improved by altering the tonal values in software. Burn down some of the surrounding areas, but very subtly lighten the man and woman and the bridal party.

There are also some people who don't read all the posts and take things out of context. Funny, context has come up so many times in threads lately.

Good morning everyone. Here is another shot from my first wedding shoot. Any C&C is appreciated but I am having a hard time deciding if I did to do any edits at all. The only thing I have done so far is up the exposure because it was a bit underexposed in the original and cropped off a little bit on the right side and I am thinking about trying to clone out the rust on the piling they are kissing on. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and I wish I didn't cut off part of her arm at the bottom but I don't think it completely ruins the shot.
View attachment 45591

Here it is with just a quick dodge and burn. This is subtle, and is mostly an effort to try and bring back some of the ocean waves and the detail lost there, and to sort of "equalize" the tones. Of course, a much more theatrical rendering would be easily done from the raw file. You mentioned the loss of the arm at the bottom of the frame, so to make up for that, I dodged her arm a bit, which draws the eye subtly to his grasp on her wrist. I dodged their faces a bit, and his shirt, and her hair just a bit. I pulled the overall exposure down just a bit to begin with, trying to make this look "authentic" and under a pier, so to speak.

$TheBrowns2_dodged burned lg.jpg

Totally unrelated to your skill and composition but have to say - the blue pants? Ugh.

Good morning everyone. Here is another shot from my first wedding shoot. Any C&C is appreciated but I am having a hard time deciding if I did to do any edits at all. The only thing I have done so far is up the exposure because it was a bit underexposed in the original and cropped off a little bit on the right side and I am thinking about trying to clone out the rust on the piling they are kissing on. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and I wish I didn't cut off part of her arm at the bottom but I don't think it completely ruins the shot.
View attachment 45591

Here it is with just a quick dodge and burn. This is subtle, and is mostly an effort to try and bring back some of the ocean waves and the detail lost there, and to sort of "equalize" the tones. Of course, a much more theatrical rendering would be easily done from the raw file. You mentioned the loss of the arm at the bottom of the frame, so to make up for that, I dodged her arm a bit, which draws the eye subtly to his grasp on her wrist. I dodged their faces a bit, and his shirt, and her hair just a bit. I pulled the overall exposure down just a bit to begin with, trying to make this look "authentic" and under a pier, so to speak.

View attachment 45606

Original
$TheBrowns2a.jpg
My Edit
$TheBrowns2.jpg

My editing skills are not pristine but how is my edit on the original composition?

This died quick....haha

Your new edited version looks good mostly. I'm not fond of the overly bright wrist area on her, but I do like the added ocean and waves on the right hand side.

Sometimes you do not need to make everything in focus to say whats going on. A little blur will pretty much do the same thing except it will bring the viewer to the subject.

p162252459-4.jpg

btw, speaking to the pose... I think there's too much of the groom's chin. Looks weird. (I won't comment on the other stuff as I think it has been well covered)

Sometimes you do not need to make everything in focus to say whats going on. A little blur will pretty much do the same thing except it will bring the viewer to the subject.

p162252459-4.jpg

I know but it wasn't what I was going for

Most reactions

New Topics

Back