What's new

Another from Trona

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 15, 2006
Messages
10,417
Reaction score
9
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
400-cr2178w.jpg


Notes:

Subject
- Pinnacles in distance
- Sunset, direct on subject

Composition
- Use vegetation, geo-features, light, color and shadows to lead
- Use limited clear sky


--
 
I love the contrast of angular shapes and sharpness with roundness and curves. The color is great, I like the red. The sun giving such harsh shadows to the pillars works really well.
 
I love the contrast of angular shapes and sharpness with roundness and curves. The color is great, I like the red. The sun giving such harsh shadows to the pillars works really well.

Thanks- I've really been working out in cs2. I'm pushing all the buttons. :) Really, the easy part is having such a beautiful location to work with. Even though I feel I could just roll around in the dirt and get good shots, it gets wierd looking through the view finder. This shot in particular I tried using the light on the rises in the dirt running a curve. The mountains on the side let direct light in further down the valley. Far beyond is a plain.

Very nice :) Sorta like a few different types of terrains in it as you look further towards the horizon :)

The area is a result of several geologic forces. First, mountain building by faulting (earthquake) activity, inland sea runoff (melting glaciers at Yosemite and other areas in the eastern sierra) filling the valley with minerals, then a giant paleocene lake from which underground springs form the columns or spires, then a breach and evaporation with mudslides. Vegetation is very salt tolerant and sparse. Life is slim. Very few lizards and rats. That means very few coyotes. No water. None. Well, a little tiny bit about ten miles behind me and up in Poison Canyon. And that'll kill ya. Love that place.
 
Like it. I disagree about using a limited clear sky though. I would love to see it with a fabulous blue.

well, maybe the sky just was not clear and blue ... hence the composition is chosen not to show too much of the grey-ish sky ;)



I can see a sort of S shaped line leading from the foreground to the pinnacles. very nice leading line!

I have to disagree though, that only the pinnacles work as a main subject, at least not exclusively. They are clearly a point of strong interest, however they are far away and in my impression they share my attention with the foreground vegation. The S shaped line gives the connection between the two.

Nice landscape shot.
 
A nice colour palette on this one, and the tones and shades, as much as the lines, lead us to the pinnacles.

Regards, Tony
 
thnx tony. axle
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom