Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How 'bout I just make one thread and update that same thread everytime I have a question?

I've run into a few occasoins today in which I can't find a translation on any of the sites I use or my dictionary for a certain word, or I can't find one that makes sense in the context of the sentence.

Here's one I just ran into: zusammen

Translators say "together," but the context of it is that it's in the greeting of a letter (ok, a post on a forum). "Hallo zusammen"

Is it just "Hello everyone?"

I've been trying to read German forums and news sites in order to practice and gain a better understanding of the language. If you have any suggestions I'm open. :p

Is it just "Hello everyone?"

Exactly.

'sowas.' I can't find a translation for that word, either.

Neither can I, but I understand as "Like this/that", "Something like this/that". I think it's a contraction of "so etwas" but we'll have to wait for LaFoto to clear this one up.

Your best bet is to stop thinking word for word and start thinking in ideas.

ich heisse Beth

Neither can I, but I understand as "Like this/that", "Something like this/that". I think it's a contraction of "so etwas" but we'll have to wait for LaFoto to clear this one up.
I agree; "sowas"/"so was" is only used in informal contexts, though.

I happen to be in the library at the moment, and I've just quickly looked it up in a few dictionaries - I tried to, at least: the only one I could find "so was" in was the Duden, 24th Ed., which indeed denotes it as a colloquial form of "so etwas" ("ugs. für so etwas"). According to the books I've consulted, "sowas" doesn't even exist as a proper expression, which I think is somewhat surprising, as it's really used widely in everyday speech.

Most reactions

Back