Another Maternity Image for C&C

TooShay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Updated with new pictures from second attempt :-/

My other pregnant friend came over so I could try out a concept. By the way, I love how convenient it is for me to try maternity photo concepts (When I eventually start making money from photography, I plan on marketing myself as a maternity & newborn photographer). My two best friends are both pregnant (due one day apart!) so I've been taking advantage of it!

So anyway, I saw these really neat photos where the mom-to-be is kind of draped in a sheer material and it's flowing in the air... it's probably a pretty popular shot. Anyway, the fan that I had wasn't strong enough so I failed miserably. I ended up threading a string through the end of the fabric and just having someone hold it up, though not really the look I was going for. I'm going to get a big box fan and try it again with my other friend.

So... does it suck? I'm not crazy about the pose. I kind of suck. I'm a noob, I know. We ended up doing a nude shot too (she's covered, of course) so I think I prefer that one a little more.

Mini Sessions-0124 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Does it suck? NO!! I think it is great, if it were a photo of me I would be so happy to have it :)

I think you really need to get that fan, and shorten the fabric so that you can see the ends really blowing and free. Also, the belly looks a bit pointed, perhaps from the way the fabric was bunched up? I would try to get the fabric very very smooth and in only a single layer over the belly and breasts so you really get the definition of the curves. Great job!

C&C per req:

It sucks - 0" Hg worth! ;) This is a nice shot; there's definitely room for improvement, but you should be happy with it. Using the string to hold up the drape was the right technique IMO (A fan strong enough to do that would make a real mess of everything else in the studio). I think the illusion would be stronger were you able to see the end of the drape though. With it disapearing camera left, it makes me think it's held up, whereas if you used a black thread, and we could see the end of it, it would be that much better.

You key light seems a touch strong. I would back it off about 1/2 stop and try again. You've lost a lot of detail on the front. The pose isn't bad, but her expression seems a bit "Okay, are we done yet?" to me.

Overall, good job and keep practicing.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

^ What he said!!!!

If you get a chance, try a shot with a pose with her head tilted back, and her arms straight and back behind her at about 45 degrees ... with a look of bliss on her face, eyes closed, slight closed mouth smile... with that lovely belly pushed forward just a bit. With the drape on a black thread.. and the end showing! And a single lay of cloth (unbunched) on her belly and breasts.. like Paige mentioned. Maybe a fan blowing her hair slightly just for effect....

I think that would be a beautiful shot....

^ What he said!!!!

If you get a chance, try a shot with a pose with her head tilted back, and her arms straight and back behind her at about 45 degrees ... with a look of bliss on her face, eyes closed, slight closed mouth smile... with that lovely belly pushed forward just a bit. With the drape on a black thread.. and the end showing! And a single lay of cloth (unbunched) on her belly and breasts.. like Paige mentioned. Maybe a fan blowing her hair slightly just for effect....

Yes! I'm going to try again this weekend with my other pregnant friend. I'm getting better about noticing smaller details since I've been asking for critique on here. I think hair blowing would be a nice touch as well.

^ What he said!!!!

Yes! I'm going to try again this weekend with my other pregnant friend. I'm getting better about noticing smaller details since I've been asking for critique on here. I think hair blowing would be a nice touch as well.

If you do it, please post it! I would love to see it! Have never done any maternity stuff... but find it interesting in some ways.

Those are the next series I 'm doing for my friend Mia including implied nude. Very good shot, I really don't think alot use the actual fan for the material but for the hair yes. I usually see the model gently holding the baby bump in the pose.

We did a version of her holding the baby bump, but I didn't like it as much as the first image. We also did an implied nude, but I don't really think it's appropriate for sharing, lol! But anyway, here's the other version:

Chelsea-3 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Every time I try to do "moody" shadowy lighting, I end up blowing out the highlights. Grr!

^ What he said!!!!

If you do it, please post it! I would love to see it! Have never done any maternity stuff... but find it interesting in some ways.

I'll definitely post it after I try it again this weekend. :)

I like #2 more than #1 because it makes more sense to me as a maternity shot.

Okay... so here's my second attempt at this. Still didn't get the results that I wanted, but is it any better? I had TWO fans blowing but the material is just too heavy.

Brittany1 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Brittany3 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Brittany4 by RoockPhotography, on Flickr

Anything I could do differently? Besides posing... I already know it needs work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back