Another New D40 owner, a few of my first pics

ronanphilip

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im new to photography, just started doing some photography classes as part of my college course. decided now was a good time to buy dslr and went for d40. havent figured out how to use it properly just yet but here is a few pics i took messing around. let me know what you think.

Photo 1

2939994722_2bc4851f33_b.jpg

photo 2
2939987330_77dce754bd_b.jpg

photo 3
2972406154_0816a54584_b.jpg

there are a few more on my flickr

Last edited:
Not too bad. I know I didn't shoot that well when I first got my D40. My only advice is to make use of a CPL in #1 and 2 to improve the skies.

thanks anubis404, there are a few more on my flicker. i tried to make a signature with a link but its not showing up so ive added it to the first post above.

thanks anubis404, there are a few more on my flicker. i tried to make a signature with a link but its not showing up so ive added it to the first post above.

Your sig link works.

with reguard to the cpl. i do have a polarising filter i got when buying the camera, just wanted uv filter more to protect the lens but bought [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D40-D60-Resolution-Fluorescent/dp/B001BZF0J4/ref=pd_cp_ce_0?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012NAT0A&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1AWK6S5KSCRWQ9KX2RNY"]this pack of 3.[/ame] after doing some reading i see that thses are not suitable to use with autofocus, is that correct.

Last edited:
what do you mean by not suitable with auto focus? to my knowledge, since you are using the kit lens that came with the d40, the front focusing element doesn't rotate from what i can recall, so you should be just fine. i maybe wrong, but what you could have would be a non circular polarizer (linear i believe it's called?) which will not function properly on a digital slr.

edit: the front element does rotate, which i can see how it would be annoying to use a circular polarizer but it should still function correctly.

Last edited:
what do you mean by not suitable with auto focus? to my knowledge, since you are using the kit lens that came with the d40, the front focusing element doesn't rotate from what i can recall, so you should be just fine. i maybe wrong, but what you could have would be a non circular polarizer (linear i believe it's called?) which will not function properly on a digital slr.

edit: the front element does rotate, which i can see how it would be annoying to use a circular polarizer but it should still function correctly.

it says digital pl on the filter not cpl so im thinking its prob liner? i read in below article that you may not be able to use your built-in metering, or autofocus.

for full article click here

CHOOSING THE RIGHT FILTER
Linear polarizing filters seem to have a greater effect on the final image than circular polarizers do, and in spite of many misconceptions, you can use either type of filter on any camera. But there is a catch: if you use a linear polarizer on a modern camera, you may not be able to use your built-in metering, or autofocus, or both.

Modern autofocus systems use mirrors that act as beam-splitters: most of the light is reflected to the viewfinder for metering and viewing, while the rest (typically 25%) is transmitted and then reflected by a secondary mirror to the autofocus sensor, which is in the camera body. With a polarizing filter attached, the ratio of reflected/transmitted light (fixed for non-polarized light) varies with the polarization plane orientation of polarized light, relative to the beam-splitter, causing the amount of light reaching the autofocus sensor to vary. This effect can be particularly troublesome if your front element moves with the lens, as it would cause the amount of light reaching the sensor to change while the lens focuses.

While you can see (rather easily) when your autofocus system has been confused by a linear polarizer, there isn't such an easy way of knowing whether or not the internal light metering system has been stumped. The same loss of light principles that affect the autofocus system can also affect a camera's built-in meter, and obviously this is never good. What use is a light meter if it receives the wrong amount of light?

In both situations, a circular polarizer corrects the problem. Having removed the effect of linear polarization, the light functions normally inside the camera, in the beam splitter, and reaching the autofocus and metering sensors properly. Therefore, for your convenience, you should use a circular polarizer if your camera has autofocus or built-in light metering features. However, if you focus manually, and use a hand-held light meter, you can use a linear polarizer on any camera you wish.

well when you have the filter on your lens what happens?

Most reactions

Back