Another newbie here :)

JillianSabrina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone :)

My name is Jillian. I'm 26 years old, born and raised in sunny South Florida (and still here). I am completely new to the world of photography and seeking advice on how to get started. I've flirted with the idea of pursuing this as a real hobby for years, and I think now is the time I finally want to get serious about it.

I've always loved the feelings that photos invoke. I've taken and printed hundreds of photos over the years, using mainly my cell phone and a silly little instant camera. I love going back to a photo and remembering the exact moment. My photos aren't professional (yet) but every single one means something to me.

Anyway, I want to begin my journey and move into DSLR territory. I don't have a camera yet, but looking to purchase one very soon. Open to suggestions :) I'm mainly interested in shooting nature and portraits. My happy place is being outdoors, and people (and their emotions) fascinate me. I hope to eventually do events, like engagement sessions, weddings, anything that celebrates people and life in general.

A little about me:
1. I'm a Pediatric ICU nurse
2. Mostly introverted
3. Avid reader
4. Lover of various genres of music
5. Windows down and music up kind of driver
6. Dog mom
7. Longboarder

Ok, I think I've rambled enough :) Hope to learn a lot from this site!

Welcome. Lots of reading here if that's what you like to do. Suggest you start off slow and work your way up the ladder. Now budget comes to mind. You can start with entry level kits, or you can start with advanced camera and lenses, or you can start with serious semi pro caliber gear. Or just get into pro gear.

You can learn just the same on a $500 camera as you can a $5,000 camera. The ones in the middle might be better if the budget can handle it. As the middle cameras have more controls and buttons. Less having to go into menu's and such to make changes.

I am a Nikon person. Been with them for almost 30 years. Right now, I think Nikon gives the best product for the money spent. Especially in the lower to advanced cameras (right now). Their entry level camera (newest model) is the D3400. Next up D5600, then D7500, then D500. All of these cameras are called crop sensor (DX). They have a smaller immage sensor than old 35mm film. They can use lenses for full frame cameras (FX). Or they can use lenses designed for their smaller sensors and cost a little less. Now the down side to these crop sensors is they don't do quite as well in low light. They are still very good cameras though. Just not as good at low light as the FX cameras.

Of the crop sensors the best for the money in Nikon is probably the D7500. It has advantages over the less expensive ones in that it has more controls / buttons and can use older style Nikon lenses that don't have focusing motors in the lens. So you could save money on lenses buying used, and having a larger selection. The D3400 is a good camera and I have the previous model the D3300 that I use when traveling for work.

Full frame cameras starts with the D610 which right now is priced just a little more than the D7500. The good thing about the D610 is it is VERY good with low light compared to others. Being full frame it needs the larger lenses. But can also use the older Nikon AF and even manual focus lenses. Next in line would be the D750 the newest model of FX cameras. Then the 810. Followed by the D5. For my better cameras I have D600 and D800 (earlier versions of D610 and D810).

Canon does have a large selection of DSLR's. But they seem to be using older technology and each different model only has a little better than the last. But higher pricing as you go up through the models. They make very good pro gear, but that's much higher in price and similar to Nikon.

Sony has decent equipment but not quite such the lens selection of Canon or Nikon. Each brand has their own advantages and weaknesses.

So for now the choice is crop frame or full frame. If you buy crop and crop lenses. And in the future decide to go full frame, then you will need to change lenses to get full capabilities of the full frame cameras. So, some people start full frame if they believe they will eventually go there anyway. But the better lenses for full frame are more expensive. So, the budget is higher for going full frame.

We have a close friend who is a Pediatric ICU Nurse. Getting out is a way she unwinds as well.

Welcome!

Have you looked at mirrorless and micro four thirds cameras?

Thank you guys for the welcome!

Welcome. Lots of reading here if that's what you like to do. Suggest you start off slow and work your way up the ladder. Now budget comes to mind. You can start with entry level kits, or you can start with advanced camera and lenses, or you can start with serious semi pro caliber gear. Or just get into pro gear.

I've got a lot of reading to do! Thanks for your reply, it's very informative. It's nice to hear a Nikon opinion. Most people that I've spoken too shoot with a Canon. I want to make a decision within the next 2 weeks, so that I can start learning and practicing ASAP. I definitely want to start slow and eventually (far future) maybe start my own little business. For now, it'll be just hobby shooting and practice :).

Yes, the ICU can be a stressful place. It'll be nice to have something to help leave work at work.

Welcome, Jillian!

Instant cameras aren't silly ;)

Nooo, they're not! But mine is :) Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome!

Have you looked at mirrorless and micro four thirds cameras?

I have not looked at mirrorless and micro four thirds cameras! *googles definitions of mirrorless and micro four thirds* haha thanks for the reply :)

Great intro, Jillian, and welcome,welcome,welcome to TPF! LIke the above responder, I too have been a Nikon shooter since the early 1980's, but have also owned Fuji, Canon, and Nikon d-slr cameras since 2001. I have owned three Fuji d-slrs, two Canon d-slrs (20D and 5D Classic), and multiple Nikons, from flagship D1,D1h,D2x,D3x, to consumer (D70), and most recently bought a Nikon D610, which has an **amazing** full-frame image sensor in it.

I dunno...I personally think that the Nikon "serious enthusiast" cameras have always been the best value for dollar spent, so that would mean D750 in FX; D7200 in APS-C, and maybe the D7500, and also the D500 in APS-C. Lenses are the investment that stays with you, so...buy two or three good lenses, and keep them for years.

In my own, personal opinion, FX Nikon is best, with a 24mm lens, a 35mm lens, a 50mm, and an 85mm prime, and then a 70-200 and a macro lens. Six lenses, total.

My advice: LIKE whatever model you buy. Don't get too obsessed, but do some reading, look on-line, then buy a camera you can live with and like. I think buying "more camera", or a better model, benefits the beginner more so than the advanced shooter, hence my recommendations of the "serious enthusiast" cameras, and not the $399 or $499 camera bodies. Meaning NOT the D3400 and not the D5400, not those classes of cameras, but something with better features, more-powerful autofocus, a bigger, clearer, sharper viewfinder sysyem, and the ability to use the OLDER, AF- and AF-D Nikon lenses.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Jillian.

Be sure to stop by The Coffee House for some relaxation.

Go to Best Buy and handle the various cameras to see which ones "fit" - easy to get the various buttons and so on. The ones that more comfortable to handle are what you want to consider.

I have to say it: don't forget about Pentax. They have always made excellent cameras, on par with the quality of Canon or Nikon but without as much brand recognition or price premium for that recognition. You get a lot of camera for less money.

And don't stop playing with instant! Even silly cameras can produce some really great, creative work. Once you gain more experience and knowledge of photography in general, you might pick that camera up again and suddenly see potential that you hadn't realized it had. :) Out of curiosity, what do you have? Instax?

Last edited:
Welcome!

Canon shooter here but all great advise above.

If you're going to start with a lower end crop sensor camera and one or two cheaper lenses, I wouldn't worry too much brand as any camera is a great camera to learn the art on. You can always sell it off later and get something else.

If you're interested in buying used, then find a few different brands that offer similar cameras and research them and find a good deal.

Good luck!!

My advice: LIKE whatever model you buy. Don't get too obsessed, but do some reading, look on-line, then buy a camera you can live with and like. I think buying "more camera", or a better model, benefits the beginner more so than the advanced shooter, hence my recommendations of the "serious enthusiast" cameras, and not the $399 or $499 camera bodies. Meaning NOT the D3400 and not the D5400, not those classes of cameras, but something with better features, more-powerful autofocus, a bigger, clearer, sharper viewfinder sysyem, and the ability to use the OLDER, AF- and AF-D Nikon lenses.

Thanks for the welcome! Great advice! I do think it's important to find something I actually "like". Sometimes, I get overwhelmed with a lot of options and I'll just pick "whatever" just to end the process even if I don't really "like" it, haha. I definitely want to find something I can live with, especially since this seems to be an expensive hobby, so I want to make the best decision for me :) Currently researching options!

Welcome aboard, Jillian.

Be sure to stop by The Coffee House for some relaxation.

Go to Best Buy and handle the various cameras to see which ones "fit" - easy to get the various buttons and so on. The ones that more comfortable to handle are what you want to consider.

Thank you! Yes, I'm definitely a feeler. I plan on handling whatever camera I buy before buying it. I also have kind of small hands, so I want to make sure I find something that fits well and isn't uncomfortable for me to hold. I also need to feel it to know I'm going to bond with it before I make the purchase! Lol :)

I have to say it: don't forget about Pentax. They have always made excellent cameras, on par with the quality of Canon or Nikon but without as much brand recognition or price premium for that recognition. You get a lot of camera for less money.

And don't stop playing with instant! Even silly cameras can produce some really great, creative work. Once you gain more experience and knowledge of photography in general, you might pick that camera up again and suddenly see potential that you hadn't realized it had. :) Out of curiosity, what do you have? Instax?

I'll definitely look into Pentax, I had never heard of it before this post. Something i'll consider once I get enough info :) I do have an Instax! I recently took a trip to Japan and wanted to kick myself for not getting into photography sooner because there was SO MUCH opportunity everywhere. I took photos with my Instax, a GoPro, and my cell phone. I actually really like how fun the Instax is, and I was happy with how some of my photos came out. I'd be happy to post some! Thanks again :)

Welcome!

Canon shooter here but all great advise above.

If you're going to start with a lower end crop sensor camera and one or two cheaper lenses, I wouldn't worry too much brand as any camera is a great camera to learn the art on. You can always sell it off later and get something else.

If you're interested in buying used, then find a few different brands that offer similar cameras and research them and find a good deal.

Good luck!!
Thank you! Great suggestions :D

Welcome Jillian. I'm a newb here as well, and have learned so much already just by reading through the volumes of great information and advice here. To echo others' sentiments, you really can't go wrong with either a Nikon or Canon - try them both out at the store (or perhaps rent one of each for a day), and see which one feels better in your hands and which controls seem easier to use to you. Have fun, and happy shooting - and remember, the best camera to have is the one in your hands whether instant, a phone, or "pro" camera. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back