Another opinion Needed on Overcooked Images. Please Help!!!

JRE313

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my 2nd attempt to change my workflow to stop making overcooked images.
Here are 2 pics of the Vatican. The first one is my usual overcooked version check it out

The_Vatican_Night.jpg

This pic came from Photomatix Default Preset. I think this is not as overcooked.
What is your opinion on this? I used Tonal Contrast on this one

The_Vatican_night_real.jpg

In my opinion, the sky is overcooked in #1 and the building in #2. I prefer the look of the building in #1 (although it's overexposed and yellow) and prefer the sky in #2. Post the files into a shootout, and we can edit and tell you how we did it. Great learning for all :)

Try Tonal Contrast with the "Photography" preset. That's the one I use to mimic natural photography. I still have to play with the sliders some to get it where I want it but it appears to me to be the closet to "Natural".

As to your two shots, in this particular case I tend to like them both. I can tell the second was processed because of the oversaturation in the colors around the doors and windows but I guess I would classify this one as "Medium Well" as opposed to "Overcooked".

What is that black area behind the statues on the top of the building? It looks odd.

Not sure why you seem to be having the same issues with your processing...Why don't you tell us step by step what you are doing.

When you process a picture write down each thing you do as you do it then post it and perhaps this will give us a better understanding on what is happening during you processing.

Seems like you rarely reply when help is offered, you just post images ask then onto the next one and on and on but you never take the time to respond to the input folks are giving you.
Reason I say this is because in order for folks to help you I think its important that you are there to communicate with them. I think you are looking for a magical answer and its not going to happen.
Every image is different and needs to be processed different. Some images look better realistic while others look good with a little more grunge and then there is some that look good with the cartoony look.
point is that there is not one preset for every photo. there is not one filter or only one way to process every photo. Some look good with adding in filters from topaz and nik or other software while other images look
good just using photo shop. Just like anything when practice and you will get it but you also should try to contribute more to the help.

Check out Youtube there are many videos with step by step tutorials.

What is that black area behind the statues on the top of the building? It looks odd.

Not sure why you seem to be having the same issues with your processing...Why don't you tell us step by step what you are doing.

When you process a picture write down each thing you do as you do it then post it and perhaps this will give us a better understanding on what is happening during you processing.

Seems like you rarely reply when help is offered, you just post images ask then onto the next one and on and on but you never take the time to respond to the input folks are giving you.
Reason I say this is because in order for folks to help you I think its important that you are there to communicate with them. I think you are looking for a magical answer and its not going to happen.
Every image is different and needs to be processed different. Some images look better realistic while others look good with a little more grunge and then there is some that look good with the cartoony look.
point is that there is not one preset for every photo. there is not one filter or only one way to process every photo. Some look good with adding in filters from topaz and nik or other software while other images look
good just using photo shop. Just like anything when practice and you will get it but you also should try to contribute more to the help.

Check out Youtube there are many videos with step by step tutorials.

i have replied and yes I use youtube
check out the car i posted again

ok here is another try, I am getting close. In photomatix i used Default settings
Then Saved as Tiff, Then in photoshop I used auto color sharped then used a new effect in nik color called dark light

vatican_real.jpg

ok here is another try, I am getting close. In photomatix i used Default settings
Then Saved as Tiff, Then in photoshop I used auto color sharped then used a new effect in nik color called dark light

Its about time you replied :thumbup:;) Normally you just bail out.....You have to understand that its frustrating to try to help someone when there is limited communication on one end.

SO I will give you feedback on this newer processed image.

It looks a lot better. There is not those black spots around the top any more where the statues are. It does not looked to over cooked. It looks way more realistic than before.

Now a little more focus from here on out. Learn how to use your layer masks and use your other exposures to tone down and bring out other areas. Like the yellow areas in this photo could be toned down or you need to
add some another color into the picture to compliment the yellow such as red. It takes time to understand and do it. Since I have been a graphic designer for a long time I really understand color and it helps me a lot when
processing. In this picture my eyes keep going towards the yellow areas so if they are not toned down you need another dominate color to help move the eyes around.

Looking better and thanks for replying! Now you can see where re-edit and post will help you more. Just like the other thread of the car you re-edited I think we found the issue was not photomatix its what you did once you brought it into photoshop.

Good job

The last one is best.
I sounds like you like to use the automatic settings which is limiting you, a lot.
Do you know how to do basic processing like levels, contrast, and colors with the eyedroppers.
When processing use your histogram for you guide and it helps a lot.
I think if you did a levels adjustment on that last shot it would look good.

My advice, take it for what it is worth, stop on the HDR until you master basic processing skills. If you can make the building look good without HDR, then why HDR.
HDR is a tool, to be used for extreme variances in exposure within a frame.

Have you looked at a program called Topaz Adjust.....my guess is that is more along the lines of the look you are really going for.
Of course I could be full of )(*&, wouldn't be the first time :).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back