Another Portrait... In color! Critique please!

itsaphillipsthing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, here is another portrait... been brushing up on my retouching skills too for headshots for actors... Your thoughts and critiques are appreciated..
IMG_0006.jpg

The portrait is nice enough, but way, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too close to the background IMO. The whole 'brick wall' thing is tired and overdone and if this is to be an actresses headshot, you need to get those fly-away hairs taken care of.

Thanks! I see what you mean about the background..Going to opt for something a little further away so it's out of focus in next shoot... this one we just did a quick shot for practice touch ups... for the flyaways, do you recommend trying to take care of them before the shot? Or just in post processing?

Always, always, always try and get as much right in-camera as possible. Something that will take <30 seconds with a comb in-studio might take 5-10 minutes in post after the fact. It's hard to get them all, but the more you can, the better off you are.

This is just my opinion.....other that what was already said, the hair covering her left eye takes away from her beauty.....if I was a prospective employer, I would ask if she has a scar/blemishes/etc., that she is trying to hide.....

eyes are fantastic but too close to the wall (further away and it is out of the DOF)

Hmmm I agree about the wall, and I see a couple of zinger hairs, and tiny skin tags that might need to be shopped out. But what really concerns me is this young woman's expression. Headshots (to me) seem like they should have a lot of bright (or maybe even dark) energy, and I get kind of a glum well-here-I-am sort of vibe. Her eye color is beautiful, though.

Hmmm I agree about the wall, and I see a couple of zinger hairs, and tiny skin tags that might need to be shopped out. But what really concerns me is this young woman's expression. Headshots (to me) seem like they should have a lot of bright (or maybe even dark) energy, and I get kind of a glum well-here-I-am sort of vibe. Her eye color is beautiful, though.
You summed up my thoughts perfectly. The one completely-visible eye looks fantastic but her expression is definitely too glum/sad.

Most reactions

Back