Another pricing question

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have searched, but have not been able to come up with any clear answers.

I was recently approached by a gallery owner who saw my work online, and has offered me free space to show my work. He is venturing into the canvas print business, and is looking for people to show their images on the canvas he is printing.

When meeting with him, he gave me a 20x24 stretched canvas print (for free), and then printed another image of similar size for display in the gallery.

We are now trying to figure out the pricing for this image. My regular list price would be $320 for the 20x24 size we are discussing. What is a common % for a setup like this, where he would print and display the image.

He was also interested in an exclusive licence for the image (he mentioned lifetime), so he could print producae and sell the image. I know that would be a huge amount, and in reality, the image has a lot of personal meaning, so I do not think I would do it, but it would be nice to have some numbers in mind.

I have looked through the ASMP site, but the details dont really match up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristal

If you are selling your image right to him you should as for over a $1000. But if you are just taking a percentage of the sales from each image sold I would do a rate around 40% for using your image...higher if you are doing the printing and he is just doing the displaying

Our only experience with this kind of thing was selling on consignment on Nantucket. The owner of the gallery got 50%. I did the printing, mounting, and packaging. At first it wasn't great but at the end we both got a nice check out of it.

Rub, what state are you in. I don't see many with the same last name that often.

I have searched, but have not been able to come up with any clear answers.

I was recently approached by a gallery owner who saw my work online, and has offered me free space to show my work. He is venturing into the canvas print business, and is looking for people to show their images on the canvas he is printing.

When meeting with him, he gave me a 20x24 stretched canvas print (for free), and then printed another image of similar size for display in the gallery.

We are now trying to figure out the pricing for this image. My regular list price would be $320 for the 20x24 size we are discussing. What is a common % for a setup like this, where he would print and display the image.

He was also interested in an exclusive licence for the image (he mentioned lifetime), so he could print producae and sell the image. I know that would be a huge amount, and in reality, the image has a lot of personal meaning, so I do not think I would do it, but it would be nice to have some numbers in mind.

I have looked through the ASMP site, but the details dont really match up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristal
An Exclusive lifetime license is huge, and means the only outlet you would have for the image is through him. You don't mention any production limits nor what geographical area sales would be limited to, if at all.

If he will be doing all the work to produce, market, and sell the image he should get the lions share of the proceeds from sales. For giving him a lifetime exclusive license, you should get a substantial cut too. In other words, exclusivity is expensive. Be sure you get an attorney involved to protect both parties if you seriously decide to persue granting him a license.

The value of a license is determined by the use of the image, which is generally broken down along these lines;
  • Usage: (eg. Advertising - "Above the Line", Corporate - "Below the Line" or Editorial - "News Media")
  • Specific Use: (eg. Billboard, Annual Report, Newspaper article)
  • Duration: (eg. 1 month, 2 months, 1 Year, 2 Years etc)
  • Print Run: (eg. up to 10,000, up to 1m)
  • Territory: (eg; USA, Europe, UK, Germany, or whatever combination of territories are required)
  • Size: (how big is the image to be used - 1/4 page, 1/2 page, full page, or double page spread)
  • Industry: (Industry type - eg. Consumer Electronics, Marine Engineering, Financial Services etc)
  • Exclusivity: (Exclusive, or Non Exclusive)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For now I have ruled out an exclusive purchase. It is not in his budget, for sure. And the personal value is too important at this time.

But for my other question, I need to know going rates.

He would be printing the images and displaying them in his gallery. What % of the sale can I expect? And is that % determined before or after his production costs?

We have a couple buyers already, so I need to come up with a price right away. The list price is $320.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Kristal

Note, I wanted to say to him 40% for me -60% for him, and he does all the printing. I woudl provide a numbered card with the image details on it (ie, the story of the image and location)

There are no clear answers for this kind of work, though to me $320 is pretty inexpensive for a 20x24 stretched canvas. It's all about what the traffic will bear.

Most reactions

Back