Another RAW question?

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have been debating myself about shooting in raw. From what I've googled and read other than the ability to change WB the images will actually be sharper? Is that a true statement? If so I think I will begin to shoot in raw. I don't shoot raw now because of the extra hassle but maybe it will be worth it? What do you guys think?

They will not be shaper if you don't sharpen them. The JPGs will have in-camera sharpening applied to them, with RAW - you have to do that.

RAW is still better, IMO. There are very few cases where JPG will be better than RAW.

It just takes a few extra minutes in whatever RAW processing software you use.

meh, I wouldn't think so.

Inherently a raw would be less sharp, because with a jpeg they are being sharpened in camera. That being said it is probably possible to use a better sharpening method with PS that will result in it being sharper than with a jpeg out of camera. But, I don't think a RAW is inherently sharper.

Thanks guys, I guess I really just need to try it out and compare a raw and jpeg for myself.

One thing to remember is that RAW will come with some pretty average defaults for a lot of the software. I spent many weeks fine tuning and tweaking Lightroom and now really the photos *do* look better than the JPEGs from my camera.

There is definitely more to a RAW workflow, than there is to a simple JPEG workflow. But the many people who consider it an extra hassle, probably don't have a good idea about the workflow.

For example, using Photoshop or just the camera's included software, can sometimes make your RAW workflow, slow and tedious. But a program like Lightroom can make it so, so much easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back