Another self-portrait, C&C please.

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would love any C&C I can get, Do remember I am a crummy model. And I am also still using a 10sec timer.

12-13-15 010.jpg

Nice Hair dude.I think its a decent selfie but something about the comp seems a bit off to me.Maybe to much empty space to the right head area,leaning posture towards one side of the frame.something makes me want to focus and recompose moving camera left.JMO and by no means do I have a clue about portrait work or the use of lighting equipment so grain of salt.I still like it though,it looks well focused and sharp.

Last edited:
This is starting to look like a rembrant.

better

but

why don't you try another type of portrait?

better

but

why don't you try another type of portrait?

I tried to take some full body portraits at 70mm but the house isn't long enough. I will get a stool out next time, and try that.
I am so short of time right now, I just hurry and put the lights up, snap some shots for a half hour and go to bed.:)
If you have a good idea let me know. :)

Nice Hair dude.I think its a decent selfie but something about the comp seems a bit off to me.Maybe to much empty space to the right head area,leaning posture towards one side of the frame.something makes me want to focus and recompose moving camera left.JMO and by no means do I have a clue about portrait work or the use of lighting equipment so grain of salt.I still like it though,it looks well focused and sharp.

I have a hard time with companion, especially with self portraits.
Thanks! :)

I wanted to try some Rembrant lighting, but where I was set up the ceiling isn't high enough for lighting.
Last time my lighting was to soft, maybe I over compensated???:biglaugh:

I agree with DarkShadow--the framing/composition seems just a little bit off, with you too low, and too far left within the total picture area.

Selfies are often very challenging. Very difficult. Especially without a real-time viewfinder/LCD readout to guide your expression and posing.

I cropped it so the backdrop doesn't show the window/wall transition. It's still not quite ideal in terms of body position/pose though...and I would clone out the clothing makers' brand icon on the shirt pocket. Here's my take on a possible crop for it:
Gallagher Green selfie-my crop idea.jpg

Of course, you could go with the broader original frame, something like this:

Gallagher-broader frame.jpg

...which has a different feel to it. Normally a gutter, which is that empty strip running alllll the way down to the lower left hand corner of the frame, is not considered a good idea on a formal portrait, and this has a sort of formal portrait basis to it, due to the lighting (a Rembrandt type lighting setup + studio-like lighting) and the dark background and the somber expression, but in this case, the gutter works I think to pull the eye up, to your face and eyes.

One issue is that your watermark has become an element of the picture...

I would personally burn down the skin on your neck by about .67 EV or so.

I wanted to try some Rembrant lighting, but where I was set up the ceiling isn't high enough for lighting.
Last time my lighting was to soft, maybe I over compensated???:biglaugh:[/QUOTE]

I like the lighting here.

Exposure looks good to me. Nice highlight and sparkle to eyes. Smooth shadows...

It feels much much better with the edit Derrel did,Nice Job.Last time I tried A selfie I was running to beat the 10 second timer,had no remote but when the camera fired I was cut in half. I realized what a jack ass I am.:biglaugh:I will stick with birds for now.

I agree with DarkShadow--the framing/composition seems just a little bit off, with you too low, and too far left within the total picture area.

Selfies are often very challenging. Very difficult. Especially without a real-time viewfinder/LCD readout to guide your expression and posing.

I cropped it so the backdrop doesn't show the window/wall transition. It's still not quite ideal in terms of body position/pose though...and I would clone out the clothing makers' brand icon on the shirt pocket. Here's my take on a possible crop for it:

Of course, you could go with the broader original frame, something like this:

...which has a different feel to it. Normally a gutter, which is that empty strip running alllll the way down to the lower left hand corner of the frame, is not considered a good idea on a formal portrait, and this has a sort of formal portrait basis to it, due to the lighting (a Rembrandt type lighting setup + studio-like lighting) and the dark background and the somber expression, but in this case, the gutter works I think to pull the eye up, to your face and eyes.

One issue is that your watermark has become an element of the picture...

I would personally burn down the skin on your neck by about .67 EV or so.

Thanks, I really like your crop better!
I know my watermark stinks, i've never spent the time coming up with a good one. I never really cared about my watermark since these are just practice and will go into the trash later. :)
Thanks again for the write up, it is really helpfull. :)

I like the lighting here.

Exposure looks good to me. Nice highlight and sparkle to eyes. Smooth shadows...

Thanks! Exposure, focus, and lighting are what I am really trying to get down solid. Then I will work harder on composition. :)

It feels much much better with the edit Derrel did,Nice Job.Last time I tried A selfie I was running to beat the 10 second timer,had no remote but when the camera fired I was cut in half. I realized what a jack ass I am.:biglaugh:I will stick with birds for now.

You have no idea how many times I take the photo, go look at it, and I am half way out of the frame! And that is with a mark on the floor where I stand!!!:biglaugh:

I am no expert and I hope you don't mind the edit. Too much space above the head and with the crop, your stunning eye color is in the third area
12-13-15 010.jpg

I think your lighting here is beautiful! Selfies are SO freaking hard! Kudos for such a nice job!

Besides the crop that has already been mentioned, it seems to be a bit tilted. I might level it out a bit if it were mine.

FWIW, I think you make quite an interesting model! Lots of texture in the hair, interesting eyes with a nice connection to the camera. Throw on a dressier shirt next time, and you'll be good to go!

Attachments

• 12-13-15 010.jpg
    12-13-15 010.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 141
Hey Bro, I pimped one in B & W... My wife seen me editing your pic and she said, OH MY, WHO IS THAAAT? I said, no one dear. LOL. She liked you all the way...

12-13-15 010.jpg

I am no expert and I hope you don't mind the edit. Too much space above the head and with the crop, your stunning eye color is in the third area

I like your crop, and I don't mind you editing it at all. :)
Never thought of my eyes as stunning, but thanks! :lol:

Think your Renaissance lighting is great.

Thanks! :)

I think your lighting here is beautiful! Selfies are SO freaking hard! Kudos for such a nice job!

Besides the crop that has already been mentioned, it seems to be a bit tilted. I might level it out a bit if it were mine.

FWIW, I think you make quite an interesting model! Lots of texture in the hair, interesting eyes with a nice connection to the camera. Throw on a dressier shirt next time, and you'll be good to go!

I didn't really think of it being tilted, but you have a very good point. thanks! :)

As for the shirt, I am just to lazy to go change for a few practice shots!:lol: And I did dress the shirt up, you should have seen it before I cloned out all the holes (around 10-15) and all the paint splatter!:biglaugh:

Hey Bro, I pimped one in B & W... My wife seen me editing your pic and she said, OH MY, WHO IS THAAAT? I said, no one dear. LOL. She liked you all the way...

View attachment 112889

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I never thought of B&W, it looks good! Thanks!!!
And for your wife.....
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back