another tfp shot

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
what would you do to improve this? btw- is it me, or do i need to knock down the red saturation some?

oh-yeah.1.jpg

tobes,

i would REALLY knock the red down a notch....

i like the pose, the face is a tad dark, but its really good!!

p.s. i want a model.... :cry:

md

ya, i thought i had messed up the curves- wasn't sure if it was my monitor or not...

Are those power lines over her head on the right hand side? They're distracting.

:( Yeah, her face is still dark. Her eyes should be brighter too. The face is usually what's important.

Direct sunlight is a real pain. My laptop's LCD is a little out of what right now, but it looks like the lighting is rather harsh. Her hair is sharp, but her eyes and nose look a little soft. Getting the focus on the eyes is important. For the crop, I'd try either back a bit, or in tighter. The background was already mentioned.

I like the camera position in comparison to the model's height, and she seems nice and relaxed.

It's a good shot. I think you'll see the biggest gains in changing the lighting, though. That's what I find the most detracting.

Did you use fill flash, Toby? I can't tell if you did. I don't care too much for the harsh shadows on her face and the way the light falls across her brow, nose and mouth. On my monitor it does not appear too red. Color actually looks great.

Hi,

I'd also actually like to see this with those power lines (?) and the branches taken right out of that corner.

Tobes: I'd agree about removing the power lines. I'm betting you didn't even notice them through the lens, you were so engrossed with getting the pose. :wink: But they gotta go.

So much is good about this and the other images from this shoot. I know you said the director wanted the deliberate harsh, contrasty light, but I think you should either sneak in a soft fill-in flash (you'd get highlights in her eyes from it, too) or grab an assistant to hold a reflector. Either way, you gotta throw more light on her face. My 2 cents.

yup, i agree. we may be scheduling another shoot with the same players, and this time i'm gonna insist on manipulating the light to my specs. since it was the first shoot with them, and i kinda took over in all other ways, i sorta stepped softly on the lighting issue, but this time i really want to do it right.

i figured the power lines would would get some comments here, and i debated cloning them out before posting, but i wanted to see how much of an issue it would be to you all.

thank you so much, everyone, for all the valuable (as always) input. :D

terri said:
thank you so much, everyone, for all the valuable (as always) input.

What would you do without us, Tobes? :sillysmi:

wander through life bereft of all happiness, all chance of self-improvement, all reason for being...
:p

Osmer_Toby said:
terri said:
thank you so much, everyone, for all the valuable (as always) input.

What would you do without us, Tobes? :sillysmi:

wander through life bereft of all happiness, all chance of self-improvement, all reason for being...
:p

Yeah.... :pats him on the head:..... we know.

:twisted:

My monitor doesn't show any red at all.

This portrait was only inches (literally) from being a classic. I would have liked it more if the light's angle of origin had been more complimentary to the model. If the light source had fully lighted the near 1/2 of her face, if far side of her face was in shadow except for a triangular kicker light on the cheek and eye, then you would have had a classic rembrandt portrait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back