Another try of studio lighting, first official try of headshot, any improvement?

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, guys, thanks again for taking the time to come in and take a look at my pictures, please give some comments about how to improve my the images.The picture was shoot with Nikon 7000, 70-200mm F4. The lighting are strobe with 2 by 3 feet softbox at the front left, two flash guns with white umbrellas, one at front right as fill light and one at the back right as back light.
I posted one group of pictures yesterday (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...itiques-welcome-about-my-portrait-photos.html) and got some valuable advice about them. One major issue is over exposed and another issue is uneven light on the face. I tried to listen to all the comments and today I tried full body shots, which I am not satisfied and some headshots, from which I chose one to attach below. Improved lighting over last time? Any comments about how to improve the lighting?
The first picture is the one I edited in photoshop and the second image is the raw image. Any comments about the post processing?

$Megan 2_01.jpg$Megan 2_01_raw.jpg

The lighting isn't bad, but it's rather 'flat' (even, lacking shadows; think "passport photograph"). The most common cause of this is your fill and key being at or near the same output and and at similar angles to the subject. Try again with your fill at least 2/3 stop below key, and move it farther out on the right. I think that will help by providing some shadow and giving some definition to the image.

The lighting pattern is very low-contrast, AKA "flat", and kind of boring. I like the shot with the yellow shirt a bit more than the other one.

This also gives the general appearance that the main light is the one camera-right, which appears to be directly to the side or even slightly behind the subject. The catchlight is quite nice, though.

I think if you reversed the power settings on the two lights, you might be happier.

+1 on your lighting power settings seem backwards.

As mentioned in another thread you want facial highlights to be in the 235 to 240 range in the red channel.

The brightest portion of this subjects face, the left side (camera right) is only 199 in the red channel indicating under exposure.
The brightest portions in the facial mask, the cheeks and chin, are about 188. Note the bright hot spot on the end of the nose.
A dab of face powder or a wipe with a facial tissue helps eliminate shiny spots that cause specular highlights.

Another place to check exposure is the eye whites. If they are gray instead of white, it's likely the shot is under exposed.

Please choose an edit preference for your profile - My Photos Are OK to Edit - or -My Photos Are Not OK to Edit.

You guys are genius, see the problem immediately... I was blinded by reducing the shadows and have overdone it. I did not realize that until you guys pointed out ....Thanks!

+1 on your lighting power settings seem backwards.

As mentioned in another thread you want facial highlights to be in the 235 to 240 range in the red channel.

The brightest portion of this subjects face, the left side (camera right) is only 199 in the red channel indicating under exposure.
The brightest portions in the facial mask, the cheeks and chin, are about 188. Note the bright hot spot on the end of the nose.
A dab of face powder or a wipe with a facial tissue helps eliminate shiny spots that cause specular highlights.

Another place to check exposure is the eye whites. If they are gray instead of white, it's likely the shot is under exposed.

Please choose an edit preference for your profile - My Photos Are OK to Edit - or -My Photos Are Not OK to Edit.

Thanks KmH. My photos are Ok to edit. I am trying to change my profile setting no success. Will change it later. At the same time, feel free to edit.

Lighting is not easy, I guess my best bet is to get a light meter to have proper exposure.

what they said.

Although don't fret too much because you have at least learned how to light someone fully. Now add and subtract lights and adjust power to reach a desired result. No experience is bad unless you learned nothing from it.

Hmm, anybody cares to comment on this photo?

white balance is off in #2. It should be solid white like #1. Go get this kid a fade too, lol

At the top of a forum page click on Forum Actions > General Settings.
On the left under My Settings cick on Edit Profile.
Scroll down under Additional Information to Allow Others to Edit My Photos?: and choose the setting you want.

At the top of a forum page click on Forum Actions > General Settings. On the left under My Settings cick on Edit Profile. Scroll down under Additional Information to Allow Others to Edit My Photos?: and choose the setting you want.

Thanks, KmH...

you guys think people may like flat light portraits? I posted this picture on my Facebook and I got friends to ask me to take photos of their babies. Surely they may like my other pics I uploaded. But looks like they like this kinds images too... It does not give me Any excuse to not to improve though...

Most reactions

Back