Another year, another haircut, another selfie up for C&C.

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I decided I would celebrate the restoration of my photo room with a new selfie. I had sort of intended to light this from the other side, but I guess I was thinking backwards. ;-)

Last time I posted a glamourish shot, my skin editing was (rightly) criticized pretty harshly. Hopefully I am improving!

C&C appreciated.
16304450625_9026a48a8a_c.jpg

16118602197_02061f3087_c.jpg

Well, I decided I would celebrate the restoration of my photo room with a new selfie. I had sort of intended to light this from the other side, but I guess I was thinking backwards. ;-)

Last time I posted a glamourish shot, my skin editing was (rightly) criticized pretty harshly. Hopefully I am improving!

C&C appreciated.

Nothing to say other than hello! ❤ :D

Maybe skin tone a little bit too much on the warm side. :)

very nice!
seems to suit you well
Thank you!

C&C appreciated.

Nothing to say other than hello! ❤ :D

Maybe skin tone a little bit too much on the warm side. :)

Hmm. Thanks! My screen is not calibrated so I sort of guess there. I'll try and fix it........ Last time I took my frequency seperation waaaaay too far!

Hows this?
16303768962_eab0af11c5_c.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't have a lot of contrast, but that's just personal preference. I'm a contrast kind of person and we all shoot very different. Here's a quick edit. It's not exactly what I want, still a lot of weird colors in the shadows and green in highlights, but a bit closer to what I usually do with skin tone. Then again I haven't seen your actual skin tone in person so this maybe way off! :D

JustJazzie1.jpg

It doesn't have a lot of contrast, but that's just personal preference. I'm a contrast kind of person and we all shoot very different. Here's a quick edit. It's not exactly what I want, still a lot of weird colors in the shadows and green in highlights, but a bit closer to what I usually do with skin tone. Then again I haven't seen your actual skin tone in person so this maybe way off! :D

View attachment 93446
Ohhh! That looks nice. Pretty close actually.
I do usually prefer a bit more contrast myself actually, but I've been trying to play with soft lighting a bit. It's terribly flattering. ;-)

I do usually prefer a bit more contrast myself actually, but I've been trying to play with soft lighting a bit. It's terribly flattering. ;-)

Ideally you want the shadows to be black but still have details and the highlights to bright, but not losing any details. You want "quality" shadows because shadows create depth and dimensions to your photos. Quality shadows will depend on the lighting and how it is being diffused.

Last edited:

Ideally you want the shadows to be black but still have details and the highlights to bright, but not losing any details. You what "quality" shadows because shadows create depth and dimensions to your photos. Quality shadows will depend on the lighting and how it is being diffused.
most of what I have researched on glamour lighting emphasizes avoiding much shadows so that the light fills in any imperfections. Sort of why the beatuty dish was invented, clamshell lighting, etc. from the way I understand it.
*shrug* it works for Sue Bryce anyways. ;-)

Adding that I do like shadows. My last selfie has plenty to spare. ;-) again, just playing around.

most of what I have researched on glamour lighting emphasizes avoiding much shadows so that the light fills in any imperfections. Sort of why the beatuty dish was invented, clamshell lighting, etc. from the way I understand it.

From what little I know about current famous photographers, since I don't follow most of them, Sue Bryce is mostly a natural light photographer and yes that style works for her and glamour work. Even in glamour, we light things differently because of our personal preference. You just have to pick one and make it your own.

Edit, I just did a quick search on her (Sue Bryce) glamour work and it's still mostly fit what you want in shadows and highlights. The top left image is a beautiful representation of how shadows and highlights work together to create depth and dimensions. <3 :eek:

Edit again: Studio work and natural light work look completely different and should be lighted completely different, depending on if you want to mimic the studio looks or the natural light looks. :D

http://www.inbedwithsue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CL-Sue-Bryce.jpg

Last edited:

From what little I know about current famous photographers, since I don't follow most of them, Sue Bryce is mostly a natural light photographer and yes that style works for her and glamour work. Even in glamour, we light things differently because of our personal preference. You just have to pick one and make it your own.
She's evolving actually! She's started playing with some continous light sources and strobes recently! It's fun to watch.

She is actually the one who gave me the idea to bounce light through a shower curtain as a large softbox. Works pretty well. :)

I saw a segment of Sue Bryce and Felix Kunze a while back where he was able to use strobes to duplicate the natural light looks. :eek:
Yes! Bounced through a scrim. Exactly the one I'm thinking of! She's posted several times on Facebook since then about new lighting she is trying.

Well, I "am" on a calibrated monitor, but it's the laptop and I still don't quite trust it. Those first few look WAY yellow on the tint. The ones further down and edited get closer to what I think is natural skin tone, but not quite. Does anyone else notice this? Maybe I calibrated wrong?! It looks like the white balance is way off.

Most reactions

Back