Another year, another haircut, another selfie up for C&C.

I think Rex nailed it, nice shot :icon_thumleft:

This is how I would have gone with it.

16304450625_9026a48a8a_c-3.jpg

Last edited:
Since portraiture is primarily about the face, I would suggest altering your lighting slightly with this type of clothing. As is, there is a lot of flesh being lit and the brightness of your chest and arms seem to rival the brightness of the lit side of your face.

If you’re shooting through a soft box, you could aim the box skywards slightly or use a flag to block about 1/3 of the bottom so the light fall-off is still striking your torso.

If you’re bouncing the light through an umbrella, you could collapse it down to have a more concentrated light spray.

Just my 2¢ …..regardless, very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Since portraiture is primarily about the face, I would suggest altering your lighting slightly with this type of clothing. As is, there is a lot of flesh being lit and the brightness of your chest and arms seem to rival the brightness of the lit side of your face.

If you’re shooting through a soft box, you could aim the box skywards slightly or use a flag to block about 1/3 of the bottom so the light fall-off is still striking your torso.

If you’re bouncing the light through an umbrella, you could collapse it down to have a more concentrated light spray.

Just my 2¢ …..regardless, very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.
YES! The skin is terribly bright. Like I said originally, I wanted to short light this and have my shower curtain (soft box like thing) on the other side, but somehow I was setup backwards. I only had about 20 minuets between this and time to make dinner, so when I realized I goofed it was too late! It's so hard when I can't see what I am doing. Guess I need to adopt a dummy to fill in for me. :)

Ps- I figured out hot to set a custom white balance! Silly me, I've BEEN reading the manual which is a bit unclear. This time I hit the ? Button on the camera it was a little more detailed. "Hold down the wb button for 1.5 seconds" got it! Custom preset for my strangely lit studio- check!

Last edited:
Ps- I figured out hot to set a custom white balance! Silly me, I've BEEN reading the manual which is a bit unclear. This time I hit the ? Button on the camera it was a little more detailed. "Hold down the wb button for 1.5 seconds" got it! Custom preset for my strangely lit studio- check!
We use auto WB. We shoot raw anyway so it's kinda irrelevant, but for the occasional jpeg, AWB seems to work pretty well.

We use auto WB. We shoot raw anyway so it's kinda irrelevant, but for the occasional jpeg, AWB seems to work pretty well.
I know, I know. And I DO shoot raw, but based on previous efforts, I think maybe just setting it will be better, since I seem to screw up skin tones 9 times out of ten. Though, if I keep screwing up and having everyone help correct me, perhaps I would enhance my visual perception of correct skin tone?

I'll admit that originally I had a gut feeling that the skin tone was off but I wasn't able to get it just right using the sliders available in aperture so I pretty much gave up. Now that I see photoshop gives me more options to correct things, perhaps I would do better. Then again, I don't want to have to import EVERYTHING into photoshop.

See, can't even made a decision on a white balance mode. ;-) Guess I'll have to practice both methods until I draw a better conclusion. Or buy Lightroom. Yes- buy more gear. That MUST be the answer, right? ;-)

I finally broke down and got adobe CC when it went to $10 a month. It's seems like a pretty good deal to have the latest LR and PS.

I finally broke down and got adobe CC when it went to $10 a month. It's seems like a pretty good deal to have the latest LR and PS.
Stop teasing me! We have satellite internet and only have 10 gigs of data a month. They don't run internet lines this far up the mountain, (two houses down gets it though :-( ) so we are stuck with what we can get. I just can't do that much downloading and uploading. As it stands I Bluetooth files to my phone and upload to Flickr from there. (We do have unlimited cell phone internet)

Stop teasing me! We have satellite internet and only have 10 gigs of data a month. They don't run internet lines this far up the mountain, (two houses down gets it though :-( ) so we are stuck with what we can get. I just can't do that much downloading and uploading.
Unlimited data on your phone?
Hook your phone up to the comp and use it for the download. :)

Stop teasing me! We have satellite internet and only have 10 gigs of data a month. They don't run internet lines this far up the mountain, (two houses down gets it though :-( ) so we are stuck with what we can get. I just can't do that much downloading and uploading.
Dh has looked into it and for some reason says the carrier can see that we've used it that way and it will breach our contract. We are lucky to have a cell phone tower in sight for our carrier and don't want to risk being dropped! It's the best service you can get from our vantage point.

Dh has looked into it and for some reason says the carrier can see that we've used it that way and it will breach our contract. We are lucky to have a cell phone tower in sight for our carrier and don't want to risk being dropped! It's the best service you can get from our vantage point.
Well....i don't think the download is 10 gigs...and the updates are usually pretty small. ...
Just don't use much Internet one month and make it your "adobe" month.
It was the best photography investment we have made behind flashes and radio triggers.

LR new adjustment brush Is friggen amazing. ...as is PS new healing brush

Well....i don't think the download is 10 gigs...and the updates are usually pretty small. ...
It was the best photography investment we have made behind flashes and radio triggers.

1) I thought it stored all of your work "in the cloud" :headscratch:
2) don't tell DH, I made him spend the 800$ or whatever it was before cs6 was gone because I thought I COULDNT use it. :hide:

I do plan to get Lightroom though once we finally upgrade the hard drive. (Again)

1) I thought it stored all of your work "in the cloud" :headscratch:
2) don't tell DH, I made him spend the 800$ or whatever it was before cs6 was gone because I thought I COULDNT use it. :hide:

I do plan to get Lightroom though once we finally upgrade the hard drive. (Again)
Nope.
all our pics are stored on our local drives

Most reactions

Back