Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
GE Panel
GE Panel.JPG

GE Luminous Arc Lamp
GE Luminous Arc Lamp.JPG

Centrifugal Governor? Not sure if they call it that on tractors but on my list to ask it's function at next show.It looks like it would control and stabilize speed of engine.
centrifugal governorbw.JPG

Last edited:
As interesting as the subjects are, on my screen this pics look horrible.
Ha ! I am looking at it on Samsung pad. AsI usual do for quick look. For reference I went back to "Case and a film" thread. And what I see: your digital pictures over there look as bad as here. But it is not my screen, your scan from film is beautiful and smooth, no trace of "pixelation" I see here. On regular monitor it was not visible. Can someone explain that ?

As interesting as the subjects are, on my screen this pics look horrible.
Ha ! I am looking at it on Samsung pad. AsI usual do for quick look. For reference I went back to "Case and a film" thread. And what I see: your digital pictures over there look as bad as here. But it is not my screen, your scan from film is beautiful and smooth, no trace of "pixelation" I see here. On regular monitor it was not visible. Can someone explain that ?
The original digital raw pic is very large. After I convert to B W I adjust blacks, highlights, and sharpen. Then I scale image down and export at 50% quality level so I can post. It looks good in some viewers and some not so much. The film scans are much smaller in scale and file size so less post, just a bump in blacks, save, and post. They look good in all viewers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes that is indeed a flyball governor. It operates via belt-drive directly off of the engine's motion. As the speed of the engine increases and the balls move out from the centrifugal force, they act on a valve in the housing below. If the engine 'runs away' (due to a flat-belt breakage for instance) then they will begin to turn so fast that they force the valve shut and stop the flow of steam. Interesting to note that the the operator doesn't have the emergency trip (the little arm sticking up at 45 degrees with the eye at the end) connected. Bad steamo!

Yes that is indeed a flyball governor. It operates via belt-drive directly off of the engine's motion. As the speed of the engine increases and the balls move out from the centrifugal force, they act on a valve in the housing below. If the engine 'runs away' (due to a flat-belt breakage for instance) then they will begin to turn so fast that they force the valve shut and stop the flow of steam. Interesting to note that the the operator doesn't have the emergency trip (the little arm sticking up at 45 degrees with the eye at the end) connected. Bad steamo!
Oh, OK. I understand it's use, pretty much same use on a diesel engine. So much for inspections... Not sure if this one was in a running state at all.... I have other pics of them moving. I am curious now, will have to check.

... So much for inspections... Not sure if this one was in a running state at all.... I have other pics of them moving. I am curious now, will have to check.
That wouldn't normally come up in an inspection unless threre's a separate 'safe to operate' inspection. National Code inspections normally stop at the first valve.

Great set. Your doing great with that camera

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Really? Are you joking? Thanks buddy, hope all is well.

Not joking, I like the photos. Things are good, haven't been on the forums much though

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back