Antique/Reclaimed Wood Furniture

Old:

joF7Hwj0iZB0F.jpg

New:

jBRUEPGfyIPv6.jpg

Any better? Was it worth the few minutes in Lightroom? I threw a Grad ND filter on the left side, and dodged the lower right corner.

I was contracted by a local reclaimed wood wholesaler as well as craftsman to shoot photographs of the tables he makes, and some of the general antiques they have around the shop.

This place is amazing, because all of the wood has a story... and you can almost see it in the age of the grain. Everything there is absolutely beautiful... With a price tag to fit the beauty.

I used two bodies for this shoot. Shooting primes, it's easier for me to have two bodies on me to make for less lens changes. However, it probably eats up my time a bit to plug the sync cord/transmitter onto the other camera. I managed my time well and did the majority of the strobed shots on the 5D2, and used the 5D for walking around with a speedlight on camera.

The main things that I wanted to accent or highlight were:

1. The grain of the wood, it's age and distress
2. The paint, and colorful accents. They use "milk paint" which is natural and sustainable... But also provides a "worn" look after drying.
3. The styling of the legs, which varies from table to table.

I only have a few shots online right now. I haven't revealed all of them to the client yet. I will have pull back shots of the whole tables as well when showing them.

A detail shot of one of the leg stylings, as well as the paint. The table top comes from a 300 year old Sailor's house from Bath, ME... About 15 minutes away. I lit this shot with an AB800 camera right, with a 430EX off to the left for a bit of fill.

This is a pretty neat sign that was kind of placed off to the side in the shop. It's the name of the reclaimed wood wholesaler's business. I loved the grain on this one as well.
This was just shot with a 430EX on top of one of my cameras.

ikUsrtDLcTBn6.jpg

The owners wife wanted me to get a shot of this love seat. I got a few, but I liked this one the best. As well as the BASKETS AND THINGS!
This was shot with a 430EX II on camera.

Some home wares that look similar to Fiestaware, but have a slightly different design sense. I actually quite like these, even as a Fiesta Ware owner myself.
This was shot with an AB800 thru an umbrella off to the left and filled with a 430ex on the right.

This is a detail shot of the wood that's painted with Milk Paint. This is a table top of a fairly large dining table. The paint/wood texture is what really drew me in.
This was with a similar setup as the last shot in terms of lighting.

That sign is cool. Nice set. I'd love to find a place like that around here.

That's one of the great things about the East Coast... Everything (especially the wood in a lot of the houses) is super old!

I'd try googling "Reclaimed Wood Furniture [Your Location], CA." Maybe you'll find a really neat store.

That's one of the great things about the East Coast... Everything (especially the wood in a lot of the houses) is super old!

I'd try googling "Reclaimed Wood Furniture [Your Location], CA." Maybe you'll find a really neat store.

You're definitely in a great area for that. I'm from upstate New York in an area that like that with tons of old homes and businesses. Unfortunately, the places here in CA that have anything are a good distance away.

o hey tyler said:

Oh yea? I see :)

I love these shots! You are so creative. I'm a sucker for reclaimed lumber; my husband does custom woodworking and remodeling. My favorites are the loveseat photo and the white cabinet with dishes.

o hey tyler said:

Oh yea? I see :)

Please, enlighten me. What do you see?

I love these shots! You are so creative. I'm a sucker for reclaimed lumber; my husband does custom woodworking and remodeling. My favorites are the loveseat photo and the white cabinet with dishes.

I too am a sucker for reclaimed wood. That's really cool that your husband does woodworking as well! You should take some photos of his work and post them up!

Thanks for the kind words, Paige. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back