Any advice on photographing fast cars on a race track welcome

Think this maybe a silly question but would having the vibration reduction switched on the lens help or cause problems when panning?

Turn it off.

VR (or IS) is designed to minimize the effects of the camera moving at a slower shutter speed when you're trying to keep the camera as still as possible. When you're panning, you're going to be intentionally moving the camera, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do when using VR or IS...

Steve,
I'm not sure about other VR lenses, but here is what the Nikkor 70-300 G manual says about panning with VR (normal mode) enabled:

Panning is also possible, as the lens automatically distinguishes panning from
camera shake (in [NORMAL] mode) and vibration reduction works effectively.

Active VR should be turned off when panning though.

The difference between Normal and Active VR:
NORMAL:
The vibration reduction mechanism primarily reduces
camera shake, making smooth panning shots
possible.
ACTIVE:
The vibration reduction mechanism reduces camera
shake when taking pictures and those from a moving
vehicle. In this mode, the lens does not automatically
distinguish panning from camera shake.
Note: Be sure to set the switch so that the indicator aligns with
[NORMAL] or [ACTIVE] precisely

Think this maybe a silly question but would having the vibration reduction switched on the lens help or cause problems when panning?

Turn it off.

VR (or IS) is designed to minimize the effects of the camera moving at a slower shutter speed when you're trying to keep the camera as still as possible. When you're panning, you're going to be intentionally moving the camera, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do when using VR or IS...

Steve,
I'm not sure about other VR lenses, but here is what the Nikkor 70-300 G manual says about panning with VR (normal mode) enabled:

NORMAL:
possible.
ACTIVE:

I'm not at all familiar with Nikon lenses, so, there ya' go.

It seems odd, though, that they would design a feature into their lenses that can only be used for the specific purpose of shooting from a loving car. Most people don't do that...

I must admit, I have only ever used the active setting on my lens a couple of times and both times have been on a boat and not in a car. When your in a car you either drive past and miss the shot or pull over and take it, hence you've stopped.
I hope my links work from race day!

eh2UHW

eh2UzA

egQD9U

egJNT8

Last edited:
Steve,

NORMAL:
possible.
ACTIVE:

My 70-200 VR lens is the same.. basically, leave it ON when panning, just not on 'active' setting.

I must admit, I have only ever used the active setting on my lens a couple of times and both times have been on a boat and not in a car. When your in a car you either drive past and miss the shot or pull over and take it, hence you've stopped.
I hope my links work from race day!

Nope will have to try on the PC not on the iPad.

$IMGP8365.jpg$IMGP8513.jpg

Take the shooting mode to Tv (Shutter Priority), adjust it to about 1/100, take the camera to serial shooting mode and shoot continously while you are following the car from the viewfinder. By a few trial, I am sure you will have some useful panning photos ;-) Btw this is how I do, surely there may be better procedures ;-)

View attachment 44215View attachment 44216

Take the shooting mode to Tv (Shutter Priority), adjust it to about 1/100, take the camera to serial shooting mode and shoot continously while you are following the car from the viewfinder. By a few trial, I am sure you will have some useful panning photos ;-) Btw this is how I do, surely there may be better procedures ;-)

"Tv" is the equivalent of "S" on Nikon cameras.

View attachment 44215View attachment 44216

"Tv" is the equivalent of "S" on Nikon cameras.

Ok, thanks for informing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back