Any advice?

steve817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK here is one of my shots using a single Alien Bees strobe and shoot through umbrella. Any advice on better positioning of the light itself. I believe the camera settings were iso 100, 1/250th at f/8.

344%3C364%3B23232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D965%3D%3B34%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3B66399687ot1lsi

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I think you've placed the light just right. I would like to see just a bit of bounce fill lighting. Also, the flesh-tones seems a bit off. Did you do a custom white balance?

-Pete

I agree with Pete, a little fill light would really help the little girl to stand out. Nicely done for your first attempt!

Thanks, Pete and Alison. I did not do a custom white balance and the only thing done out of the camera was cropping. I had one of those 5 in 1 reflectors that would have helped, but had no means of positioning it. The only people there at the time were myself and my one and only willing model in the photo who just happens to be my 5 year old daughter Evelyn.

I'll try the custom white balance next time. The Sekonic Flash meter made pretty easy work of the rest

For a first attempt this is outstanding, but I don't like the little girls arms being lopped off, and the light in a little harsh, but as I said outstanding job!

Tally Ho

I wasn't too crazy about chopping her arms off either. When you look at the uncropped shot however she had her hands in her lap and her legs crossed, so her hands just kind of disappeared and looked really weird.

I also agree with the harshness of the light itself and see a softbox in my future. So what should I get square or octagon shaped?

cute shot - I think I would crop a little more off the top so her face is not so centered maybe... - the other day I used my reflector duct taped to a chair and tilted to the right angle, since I don't yet have a holder for it - it was a pain, but it worked. I have a daughter Evelyn too! Not a name you come across much in this age group, but I love it.
~lisa

Most reactions

Back