Any botanists here? (Else this is for MrSid, and others)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Who can tell me which tree has this flower?
For despite the fact that I love to photograph tree flowers (shaking hands with DrDan here, I think, though his photos are always sooo much better than mine), I hardly ever know what tree it is....

And a question to MrSid: does this one pass your muster (dof-wise)?

52291794.jpg

Here's another one for the botanists, with some more leaves, as a help to tell me what tree this one is, though I like the first better:
52291805.jpg

Whatever the quality of the print after the scanning and the quality of the photo here after condensation through the picture host: on paper they are crystal-clear.

[Enter stage left. Darfion the wannabe botanist]
[Puts on half-moon glasses and rubs chin]

To my inexperienced eye, this looks like some sort of Acer. Maybe Japanese Acer. Could be, and probably am, completely mistaken.

I would agree the leaves look like maple, the flowers are unfamiliar though. Does not look like any of the american maples that I'm familiar with although it comes closest to the mountain maple tree/shrub which grows in the Rockies.

LaFoto...these are xellent photos...like this blury back with the contrasting flowers...how did you do that?

Moni, in order to get to the macro setting of my telephoto lense, I have to extend it to between 200 and 300mm. That long focus makes the background become so blurred. I very much like that effect, but the very short depth of field with the camera's automatic setting (f5.6) is annoying. I am now using other f-stops (f16, or f22), provided that light allows me to do so (requires long shutter times).

Now this particular tree is just one in a row of many beside the road, and it stuck out to me because of its different colour in all the fresh, young spring-green. So I thought I wanted to take a photo of these interesting flowers.

Now I'm wondering who I could ask about what kind of tree this one is - for the board botanists seem to be in a meeting elsewhere - or what???? ;)

Cool images. I've no idea on the type of tree, although I agree it does look like some type of maple.

Go here, http://www.maple-trees.com/forum/index.htm, and register and post the pictures in the Tree Identification section. Maybe someone can help. To me it looks like a three-way cross between a silver maple, sugar maple and norway maple, heh heh, but that is my uneducated guess :)

And let us know if they tell you what it is! You now have me wondering!

OK, so question and photos have been posted... now I have to wait for the reply. I'll let you know as soon as I know more, ok?

(Wow, there are internet forums on EVERYTHING, aren't there? I wouldn't have thought there'd be a forum on maple trees only!?!?! :shock: )

What a slow, slow forum that maple-tree forum is! No reply between the 29th and today. No one has spoken AT ALL - my question is still the latest entry they ever got.
So - well - patience seems to be asked for...

Is MrSid not here?
I was asking him, too, about these photos, i.e. if they pass his dof-judgement? Not around???

A reply, a reply :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

This is what "robert", the moderator (of the forum that has by now been visited 91 times!!!! ;) :p ) said (and it seems like you were on the very right track, DrDan)

I think your tree is a norway maple or, Acer platanoides, variety ‘Crimson King’ here is a link to some photos that look just like yours.

http://www.lookoutnow.com/animal/n_maple.htm

Sorry abouit taking so long but I am very busy.
Robert

And yes, the photos in the link provided are similar to mine (though mine are nicer, heeheeheeheeheee :lol: )

Hi LaFoto!
Sorry, been out of town in the depths of Texas.
Love that DOF!
Can't help you with the botanical bit though.

Most reactions

Back