Any guitar players here?

Rob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ukphotographs.com
I'm going to start learning to play, does anyone have any tips, tricks or advice for me? I was fairly musical as a kid and got to grade 5 on piano and trombone, but I have never been able to sight read easily. Can anyone help?? :hugs:

Rob

What style of guitar are you looking to play?
Classical? Rock? Electric? Acoustic?

Do you want to read music while playing?

I used to teach guitar... my only advice I can give over the net is PRACTICE. :mrgreen:

I've been playing since I was able, and my only advice is this: no matter what style you want to play, start with acoustic. It'll gain you the finger strength, dexterity, and everything else you need. Then, in awhile, you'll probably be thinking "Man, I'm nowhere near where I want to be", then you'll pick up an electric guitar and amaze yourself.

Learn lots of chords, because everything revolves around them... learn scales, because that's how soloing is done. And good luck!

Well said Verbal !

Start off with some Blues playin, it's good for the soul. Listen to Eric Clapton Unplugged, that's the kind of stuff I play, although I like it all. Just follow Verbal's lead on this and the more you pick and learn, the more you will fall in love with the guitar. Also, start off with a good guitar with 10 guage strings "easier on the fingers and less bleeding" and not one of those WallyWorld guitars. If your young, start playing now before the arthritis settles in. And remember, you can't bring a piano to a camp fire party, but you can easily bring a guitar, and the girls dig it too !

my 2 cents.

M @ k o said:
Well said Verbal !

Start off with some Blues playin, it's good for the soul. Listen to Eric Clapton Unplugged, that's the kind of stuff I play, although I like it all. Just follow Verbal's lead on this and the more you pick and learn, the more you will fall in love with the guitar. Also, start off with a good guitar with 10 guage strings "easier on the fingers and less bleeding" and not one of those WallyWorld guitars. If your young, start playing now before the arthritis settles in. And remember, you can't bring a piano to a camp fire party, but you can easily bring a guitar, and the girls dig it too !

my 2 cents.

YEAH the girls dig it... if you're in college, learn some Jack Johnson or John Mayer. Easy stuff, and the girls will have their shirts off before the chorus. ;)

DISCLAIMER: that was an exageration girls, please take no offense... I come from a hippy college where it's a little closer to the truth though. :p

Verbal said:
YEAH the girls dig it... if you're in college, learn some Jack Johnson or John Mayer. Easy stuff, and the girls will have their shirts off before the chorus. ;)

DISCLAIMER: that was an exageration girls, please take no offense... I come from a hippy college where it's a little closer to the truth though. :p
Dude...you feel the need to put that disclaimer on TPF? We're all hippie artists here! I mean, come on!!!! :lol:

Verbal said:
Then, in awhile, you'll probably be thinking "Man, I'm nowhere near where I want to be", then you'll pick up an electric guitar and amaze yourself.
and remember to buy an electric off of my line of guitars. ;)

Artemis said:
Verbal teach me some John Mayer...tell me an easy song to learn...I can only play 4 atm...

My Stupid Mouth is a cinch, and Neon isn't as hard as it sounds. =)

Verbal said:
My Stupid Mouth is a cinch, and Neon isn't as hard as it sounds. =)

Come Back To Bed is easier again. :)

Robbo, definitely stick to accoustic guitars for the first year or 2 then progress onto whatever takes your fancy. :) I started on an electric guitar then went on to a 12-string accoustic. :mrgreen:

LittleMan said:

Guitar1.jpg

Guitar2.jpg

Fitting new strings after i'm finished doing the housework. :D

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'm going to get an acoustic guitar as this is just plain easier to practice and I live in a block of flats, so the monster Turbosound flash + flood rig may have to wait until I can actually play... well.. anything.

I've got pretty strong hands and I take things apart a lot so I'm used to hurting my hands - they're covered in scars from the sharp bits in cars and computers.

The thing that worries me most is the learning, because I am old (compared to many of you at twenty eight!) and I haven't learnt "something new" for a while. Well, not like music anyway!

Thanks for all the tips, anyone got any more?

Rob

Xmetal said:
Fitting new strings after i'm finished doing the housework. :D
well, it's a 12 string... he'll be busy for the next 2 years trying to keep them all in tune at once... ;)

Most reactions

Back