Any ideas on backpacks?

ACMark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, first of all thanks everyone for the help in previous topics.

I'm looking for a waterproof backpack, or a backpack with a waterproof compartment big enough to fit a body with an extra lens. I remember a friend of mine used to have a nike model that had a completely waterproof pocket, but they're no longer in production.

Any ideas? Price range would be, maximum $65, but if I could find something cheaper that'd be great.

Thanks!

If you are looking for 'rain resistant', the Lowepro 'AW' bags have an 'All Weather' rain cover that works pretty well.

Lowepro also has their line of 'Dry Zone' waterproof backpacks, but the smallest one is $200.

You might consider just using a normal (affordable) backpack and getting a waterproof bag to put inside it. Those roll-top waterproof bags aren't too expensive. You can usually find them in camping or boating stores.

Any hints on use? Is it going to just get rained on, or submerged?

$65 isn't a lot of money for a quality photo backpack, and to get a specialized one to boot would be downright difficult with that budget.

If its just going to get rained on, I might suggest a backpack raincover for an existing pack......

If submerged, I recommend a bigger budget, and something a bit better suited than a backpack, like a waterproof box.

Zippers leak.

Just saying.

I just purchased the Kata Pro-lite Bumblebee 220 for $220.00 on Amazon. The bag looks awesome. I should get it in about 4 or 5 days.

I currently have the Lowepro 302 Slingshot. It's not a bad bag for the money (109.00), but doesn't work exactly as advertised. They say you don't have to take it off to go in the bag; you can just sling it around. That's true if you just wanna go in the top part of the compartment, but if you wanna get into the part that keeps the lenses, you have to remove the bag from your back or hold it up kind of awkwardly while you dig around for the lens you want. Also, it doesn't hold standard sized tripods well because of the angle while it's on your back. It hold mini tripods fine. It's a good bag with lot of room, really well made.

I upgrade because I want more space plus the laptop compartment.

Danny

If submerged, I recommend a bigger budget, and something a bit better suited than a backpack, like a waterproof box.

Zippers leak.

Just saying.

I'd like to hear some suggestions (out of curiosity) on the box idea if you don't mind! Hadn't thought of it!

About the use.. I live in Ireland, I think that pretty much explains it.

I'd like to hear some suggestions (out of curiosity) on the box idea if you don't mind! Hadn't thought of it!

Pelican 1300 Small Protector Waterproof Case FREE S&H 1300-001-110, 1300-001-150, 1300-001-180, 1300-001-190, 1300-001-240, 1300-001-120, 1300-001-130, 1300-000-110, 1300-000-150, 1300-000-180, 1300-000-190,

For starters. There are tons of them, but the ones that seem to be TRULY waterproof (i.e. tie a rock around it and toss it in the lake) are pretty pricey, and WELL outside of your price range. Not as convenient as a backpack either.

Not really. Will you be using this for hiking, canoeing, kyaking, etc, etc, etc....... A quality pack and a rainfly for it should be suitable for hiking, but for watercraft use you might need something more......

Not really. Will you be using this for hiking, canoeing, kyaking, etc, etc, etc....... A quality pack and a rainfly for it should be suitable for hiking, but for watercraft use you might need something more......

Well, to be honest it rains A LOT here. I'd like to be able to use it for hiking/biking.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have the Kata 3N1 30 size and it has a waterproof cover that goes over the whole bag. There are 2 smaller sizes. It can be a backpack or sling bag depending on how you configure it's shoulder straps. I believe I got it on Ebay for $75.00 US.

Going to their website for the link I saw that they now have another series similar to the 3N1 and it has a rain cover as well - Kata Navigator

Most reactions

New Topics

Back