Just bought the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20 L...

stk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...and I feel tricked by all the great reviews.

It seems to me that every reviewer loves this bag, but to me it has a lot of room for improvement.

Here are my biggest problems with this bag compared to what I was "promised" by reviewers:

* The bag is supposed to be, if not waterproof, resistent to rain. It's not. The top zipper for the laptop and tablet compartment starts to let in water after just 5 - 10 minutes of light to medium rain. The rest of the bag seems better protected, but you really do need a rain cover if it rains.

* The side pockets are way to small and with not enough stretch. They work fine if the rest of the bag is empty, but I would really like to both fill up the bag, and fit a bottle and or my tripod in the side pocket. The tripod fits with one leg in the pocket (while Youtube reviews make it seem like the whole thing would fit), and there is a strap to secure it, so that's probably OK. A normal sized water bottle is just to big.

* The backpack lacks pockets or compartments for storing things like chargers, triggers, filters and so on. I guess they are ment to go in the pockets on the side flaps, but they have the same issue as the side pockets, you could either fill those up, or the main compartment, not both.

* The backpack is uncomfortable to carry. This will probably not be the same for every body shape, but I do a lot of hiking and therefore own a lot of hiking backpacks; this can't compare when it comes to comfort and weight distribution.

* The bag is advertised as a 20 L bag. It's only 20 L if filled to the brim in a way that it's not really practical (and even less water proof). It should be compared to 12 - 15 L bags.

Other than that, this backpack do feel like a premium product, and includes a lot of nice features. I'm going to keep and use mine. So in summary the bag is great, but not as great as the internet wants you to think. And for Peak Design this is a really great foundation for a v2.0, especially if they dare to sacrifice (or maybe incorporate?) some design for functionality and comfort.

Last edited:
This is interesting maybe we could arrange for a review thread

I have heard that lot of "reviews" are actually just paid commercial statements designed to do just what you found - trick you into buying. I always look at who's doing the review; if they aren't a "known" source to me, the value of the review goes way down.

Generally, you can trust the comments by folks on here as I don't think any of us have figured out how to get paid for our opinions.

This is interesting maybe we could arrange for a review thread

I like this idea because TPF member reviews are more reliable than the bs you see when online shopping but how best to organize it? All in one thread is not really convenient. A separate thread for each product would be easiest as far as searching and efficiency. There are lots of these types of posts already so maybe just a case of having the OP of each thread put the specific product name and the word “reviews”? Or maybe a sub forum in the products and equipment forum? My concern though is this type of thread title would likely invite a lot of spam.

what do you all think?

OP - if you find a great hiking/camera backpack please let me know. Still searching!

If the bag is only half as good as their straps you should be fine..............

I always treat on-line reviews the same way a dive/ice skating routine/gymnastics routine is done in the Olympics...I throw out the high and low scores. The highs can be loaded with cheerleaders and the lows are mostly occupied by the perpetually unhappy.

I always treat on-line reviews the same way a dive/ice skating routine/gymnastics routine is done in the Olympics...I throw out the high and low scores. The highs can be loaded with cheerleaders and the lows are mostly occupied by the perpetually unhappy.
I agree, but it's hard when 9/10 loves the product you're researching.

And just to clarify; I get that product reviewers often get paid or benefit from giving good reviews, but I dont get that they would lie, or give out incorrect information making it evident that they didn't test the products in question. Like the side pockets on this backpack; yes, they are large when the backpacks main compartment is empty, but you can't fit a bottle in them when you fill it up. Almost all reviews mark the large side pockets as a plus!

Last edited:
the trick I use is follow the BAD reviews:
there will always be dissatisfied customers, BUT.....

If there is a pattern of problems, you usually can see if something isn't right.
A good example is to look at the bad reviews and see if there is a common theme of "zippers not water proof" or bag was moist after rain, or some such.

I have the PD straps but a warning.... the combi plate done not work as well as the manffrotto plate
As in the combi plate will come out even with the manfrotto safety catch still in place.

Seems to me all camera bags are either good for hiking or good for cameras. I'd love it if someone like Osprey and Lowepro had a joint venture!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back