Any ideas to keep me shooting every day?

OfMikeandMen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Again, I am new to photography. However, I am limited to what I can shoot. I recently moved to Austin, Texas, and I don't have very many friends, yet. I want to get involved in portraiture and wedding photography (eventually), but I also enjoy any shot that is aesthetically pleasing, and urban photos. I live in northern Austin, so my ability for more interesting urban photos requires travel, which, often times isn't possible right now (with my job flexibility). Again, my end goal, at least for now, is portraiture and wedding photography. Apart from my girlfriend, I don't have very many subjects. I am just looking for anything to keep me shooting every day. Some interesting ideas, or something. Any suggestions would be great. I just don't want to burnout because I don't know what to shoot. I think this is largely because I'm still learning a lot of technical stuff with the camera, so I haven't really learned what I'm interested in shooting. I like doing photos of my girlfriend, and I've done some self-portaits. Anyways, before I keep ranting, I'll stop myself. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

If you can't find things to photograph it's only because you aren't seeing what is in front of you. Look around yourself. In every room of every building, in every tree and bush there is a photograph that you aren't seeing.

I sometimes go weeks without taking a photo. The worst thing you can do is go out when you are not feeling it.

I couldn't agree more with Scott. Maybe since you aren't able to take wedding photos right now, look into nature. Everything around you could be photographed in some way! Animals, friends, trees, houses, cars, and the list goes on. :)

IMO, taking pictures of things you don't want to take pictures of is not going to help you improve. Unless you are still figuring out how aperture works, and that sort of thing.

There's nothing wrong with not shooting every day.

The most useful thing I have read on TPF since joining a few weeks ago, is after you shoot, turn around and take another picture behind you. Can apply here too, there's always pictures to be taken. 99% of what I take, I hate and delete a lot, but that 1% makes it all worth wild.

I always have my phone with me, and have started hauling my camera most of the time now. I am amazed at how many times I see things I want to photograph but cannot. The other day I was running late to work, and when I was getting on the freeway there was Mt Hood in front of me with the sun rising next to it, through the clouds. I was not able to move to a spot where I could pull over or I would have. I now plan too watch for another overcast morning and head over to the overpass just to get a great shot of the mountain. It is about how you are seeing the world. The shots appear, it just takes using different eyes to see them.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The only thing I am still trying to figure out with aperture is depth of field and it's relation to the focal length and subject distance. I still have some sharpness issues when it comes to that, though I understand it in theory. I like going out and shooting. It's just where I live is kind of boring. It's an apartment complex and most of the scenery looks the same. Outside is all grass and houses. I guess I'll just have to get creative. I did stumble on a website that recommended some various things to shoot, so I think I'll mess around with that. I also am thinking about getting up earlier before work and going out instead of getting that extra hour or two of sleep.

attach a bomb to your camera that will detonate unless the shutter actuates at least once every 24 hours.

^^^ Pixmedic's advice may work, but probably won't help your photography, or relations to prospective friends - too much pressure.

However, leave your camera at home. Now go out and look for stuff to shoot. You will find it. And you will kick yourself for not having your camera with you. But don't give in just yet. Go and see another 20-ish photo opportunities that you wish you had been able to capture. Think about what it was about them that got your attention. Think about what you'd want complete strangers to see if you could share. Think about why they would care.

Now go back the next day, and try to apply all that thinking.

Because when you have the camera with you, it's "See" -> "Click". When you don't, it's "See" -> think -> look around for a better vantage point -> think about why it is interesting -> decide it is interesting enough to go back again -> "Click".

There's a difference.

^^^ Pixmedic's advice may work, but probably won't help your photography, or relations to prospective friends - too much pressure.

However, leave your camera at home. Now go out and look for stuff to shoot. You will find it. And you will kick yourself for not having your camera with you. But don't give in just yet. Go and see another 20-ish photo opportunities that you wish you had been able to capture. Think about what it was about them that got your attention. Think about what you'd want complete strangers to see if you could share. Think about why they would care.

Now go back the next day, and try to apply all that thinking.

Because when you have the camera with you, it's "See" -> "Click". When you don't, it's "See" -> think -> look around for a better vantage point -> think about why it is interesting -> decide it is interesting enough to go back again -> "Click".

There's a difference.

x ∞

I've told people this same thing countless times, and they just don't understand it at first. Then when they go out and try it, the light bulb comes on.

Most reactions

Back