Any ideas to keep me shooting every day?

However, leave your camera at home. Now go out and look for stuff to shoot. You will find it. And you will kick yourself for not having your camera with you. But don't give in just yet. Go and see another 20-ish photo opportunities that you wish you had been able to capture. Think about what it was about them that got your attention. Think about what you'd want complete strangers to see if you could share. Think about why they would care.

Now go back the next day, and try to apply all that thinking.

Because when you have the camera with you, it's "See" -> "Click". When you don't, it's "See" -> think -> look around for a better vantage point -> think about why it is interesting -> decide it is interesting enough to go back again -> "Click".

There's a difference.

Maybe the BEST photographic advice I have ever read.

I have heard some photographers say they find really cool locations while Geocashing... Sounds like a fun way to get out there to me!

I started out wanting to do portraits and weddings as well. Before even owning a camera. That has changed a lot. Still don't mind doing either of those but I'm into so much more now. Doing events, concerts, sports, etc. Just having fun. My advice is to don't limit yourself, get out there and shoot. Don't just walk around and see something nice and take a picture then move on. If you come across a lone tree out in a field against a mountain back drop or something, really plan it out before you touch your camera. What mood do you want the picture to have. Loneliness or strength or whatever. Cook an omlette and set it up and take pictures of it. You got to love it to learn how to get through the times when it sucks.

I don't bring my DSLR with me on my travels, but I always have my iPhone and/or Point and Shoot. I hate to miss something interesting.
Great advise above^^^. These guys know what they're talking about. "Think before you shoot"

Most reactions

Back