Any recommendations on a large backpack type bag?

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a backpack type bag. I want to be able to fit 2 gripped Canon bodies, 4 lenses, 70-200 2.8, 24-105 F4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, and a 50mm 1.4. 2 Speedlites, light meter, and plenty of room for misc other stuff, CF cards, grey cards, etc. I want this to be a backpack mainly because I shoots HS sports/events and want to carry the gear easily to and from different areas and have access to different lenses. Right now this is all fitting in a Canon backpack that is about to explode at the seams, and that would make me cry With my luck it would be on my shoulder and spill onto concrete as I am walking! Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm very pleased with my Tamrac 5587 Expedition 7x. I am able to carry 1 body, 3 smaller lenses, 2 flashes, lightmeter, whitebalance cup, about 4 dozen batteries, radio triggers, supplies, accessories etc. I put my laptop and charger in it and was still able to fit inside the overhead compartment BA flights to/from London.

I have two extra pockets attached to the belt, one side is for filters and the other is for my phone and smokes/lighter.

Lowepro | Pro Trekker™ AW Series

Pro-trekker from lowepro might suit your needs. The 600 would be overkill but the 300 or 400 versions should be suitable (depending on how much in extras you want to add). Access might be slower than some of the slingfastpack type bags, but the harness setup will make carrying the heavier load a lot lot easier and more comfortable on your back. For travelling its ideal - however if you're more after fast access to the gear on a sports field/pitch - you might well want to consider a shoulder bag; something you can pickup and put down fast and get access to the gear.

This all depends how fast you feel you need access and also how far you have to travel and how often.

$110 + shipping and it is yours.

I had to upgrade to the Expedition 7...

Tamrac Expedition 5

Nikon D300 Gripped
Nikon D90 Gripped
Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF
Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 G ED
Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 G ED
Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G ED VR II
SB-600
SB-900
PocketWizards

Bag weights almost 25lbs as it sits. My next bag will be a Think Tank...

(Taken with BB Torch)

2mfhqc2.jpg

2s6lhmb.jpg

20b1tlw.jpg

$110 + shipping and it is yours.

I had to upgrade to the Expedition 7...

Tamrac Expedition 5

Nikon D300 Gripped
Nikon D90 Gripped
Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF
Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 G ED
Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 G ED
SB-600
SB-900
PocketWizards

Bag weights almost 25lbs as it sits. My next bag will be a Think Tank...

(Taken with BB Torch)

@cnutcoI like it, but it's just a hair bigger than the current one I have.

@Overread I like that Lowepro Trekker 400. I'm not looking for a quick sling bag. I have a tiny bag to sling a single lens around in. I just want my gear in the vicinity when I am shooting. Never know what I may want! I will look around for one, although I dont know aboiut ordering it direct at almost 400.00. I might as get a rolling pelican for that price. (I know that defeats the purpose of asking about a backpack)

I have about 5 bags now... So yes, I am a firm believer in getting way bigger than you need.

If you are willing to pay that much then you should look at the Think Tank line.

The latest bag set up...

Tamrac Expedition 7

Nikon D300 Gripped
Nikon D90 Gripped
Nikon 50mm F1.8D AF
Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 G ED
Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 G ED
SB-600
SB-900 x2
PocketWizards x5

Again, crappy cell phone pics...

az6yq.jpg

68y051.jpg

1z1tk5s.jpg

I've heard good things about the Tamrac Expedition series bags and also about both Crumpler and ThinkTank bags.

I, personally feel that bags are a little like tripods - you'll never end up with just the one and chances are you'll go through a few (even the good ones) before you land on the ones that best suit you. I'm not sure about other companies, but I'm aware that Lowe-Pro do offer a lifetime warranty for their bags and that, from all that I've read, they do honour that warranty well.
I can also personally say that their bags are well made - I put a mini-trekker through far more weight than it was ever intended for (based on the bag size, padding and strap setup) and it never showed even the hints of breaking under that pressure.

Then again the other brands also get good reports as well - a lot of it is experience and trying them out in person at the shop if you can get the chance to.

Yeah there is a shop about 25 minutes away I need to get over to. I have looked awhile back, but didnt really need a new one at the time. Now I actually need a new one as I have outgrown the current one. I didnt realize that Lowepro had a lifetime warranty on them. That alone makes them worth the price I guess. Although the one I have has never had an issue it's stretched to the max and I have lenses on the small outside thin pockets and that worries me. Thanks I never gave much thought into the waranty aspect of it.

I vouch for Crumpler. I have a Customary Barge Deluxe and it's awesome. You can fit a ton of stuff in it. I also appreciate the design sense, and some of the other aesthetic and functional abilities of their product line.

This is the one I have. You could PROBABLY fit two gripped bodies in it. I carry two full framers, one with a grip, one sans grip with no issues.

Customary Barge Deluxe

@o hey tyler - I always thought the crumpler were more a aesthetic bag, I have never seen that one though. Their marketing dept needs to be fired. They put 11 pictures on their site of that bag and not a single one of the inside!

@o hey tyler - I always thought the crumpler were more a aesthetic bag, I have never seen that one though. Their marketing dept needs to be fired. They put 11 pictures on their site of that bag and not a single one of the inside!

I agree, they do need to post photos of the interior of the bags. At least they do show you what will fit in the bag with a deconstruction of a camera kit. If you are interested in one, I can take some photos of the interior of mine today and post 'em up for you.

This is the one I'm using now... I love it...

Amazon.com: Think Tank Airport Antidote® V2.0: Camera & Photo

I have it basically filled with the following:

5d mk2 (not gripped) w/ 300mm f/4 IS mounted
70-200 2.8 IS
Cybersync transmitter and 3 receivers
100mm 2.8 macro
17-40mm f/4
24mm TS-E
50mm 1.4
2x LP160's (I could fit one more)
Lumiquest Softbox3 (in laptop pouch)
Multi-fold umbrella (in laptop pouch)

Llots of small accessories in the internal zippered pouches. 27 pounds total.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back