Advice on an upgrade. D200 vs D80 vs 40D

FocusDave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to switch platforms (I currently shoot Olympus), and one thing I've realized is that I like the feel of beefier camera bodies. I use a D90 and a D7000 at work, and those are both much more satisfying in my hand than my E-420. I'm currently selling all of my Olympus gear, and I should be able to pull in about $600 from the sale. Since that's essentially my budget for a new camera, I've been looking at the following as possible replacements:

-Nikon D200
-Nikon D80
-Canon EOS 40D

There are a number of good deals on these cameras on my local craigslist, so I know I can find them for under 600. Also, if I manage to find a good deal on a body-only, I'll use whatever money is left over for a an inexpensive prime lens, such as the Canon 50mm f/1.8 or the Nikon 35mm f/1.8.

Anywho, my question is, what do people have to say about those cameras compared to each other? I know that they're all older bodies, and I'm not going to buy anything with over 50k shutter actuations. I've done the side-by-side-by-side comparison on dpreview.com, and I'd like to hear what real people have to say.

Thanks!

The D80 is entry-level grade, the D200 and 40D are both prosumer grade. The D80 has an all plastic body, the D200 and 40D have magnesium alloy metal bodies and weather sealing. The metal bodies block electromagnetic interference and help to dissipate the heat generated inside the cameras by the electronics.

The shutter count on the 40D is not as easy to obtain as it is for the D80 and D200, because Canon cameras do not write that information to the EXIF data fields the cameras produce, but the Nikon's do. You just have to make an image capture as a JPEG with the Nikon's, and will find the shutter count in the 'Maker Notes' section of the EXIF data.

The projected shutter life of the D80 is 50,000 actuations. Some die early, some die late. The D200 has a shutter life expectancy of 150,000 actuations. I have neve seen a shutter life expectancy for the 40D from Canon. Like the D80 some die sooner, some die later.

With used cameras, the condition of the camera is consideration #1. A deal that includes the original box, cables, body cap, viewfinder eye piece cover, user's manual, software, etc is another positive tell.

Here is where you find the shutter count in the EXIF data fields of Nikon camera bodies:

ScreenShot006.png

I believe the 40D shutter life is around 100000
And to view the shutter count of 40D, you can use this windows based software

astrojargon - EOSInfo

I have a 50D I'll sell you for $650 with 3 batteries, charger ,car charger, grip and a few odds and ends. No lens though! I sold off all of my oddball lenses. There is a program that will read the shutter count on a canon body. My 50D is at 49K clicks. I've owned it 2 years and had it serviced annually. It's due for service and cleaning in May. Let me know if you are interested.
Honestly? I think if you are careful and save you can go with a bit newer camera body.

Really what it boils down to is what camera system FITS you. If you are working with Nikon at work, it's probably going to be Nikon. Things will feel funky if you go with something else. Kind of like working with your Olympus. The two just aren't the same.
As for the line up you have listed? I'd give it thru tax time and purchase a good used newer body. THere will be a huge influx of gear on craigslist about the first wave of income tax. Everyone who is upgrading will be selling off their gear. it can be some awesome deals!

D200 for $415
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029990883770?r=FE

D80 from $310
http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029990949930?r=FE

plus you can meter with All AF-DX, AF-D, AF-G, AF-I, AF-S, and AF VR Nikkor lenses provide full AF and metering operation. AI-P lenses provide manual focus w/ electronic rangefinder and full metering operation. AI lenses provide manual focus w/ electronic rangefinder, Aperture Priority and Manual exposure mode, C/W and Spot metering operation.
Also it's shutter will do 1/8000, compatible with sb800 and if you get into off camera flash, it has a pc socket. The d80 will not meter old manual focus lens, but has commander mode to fire off camera flash wirelessly. It also has a in body focus motor for af-d lens.

I know nothing about canon besides their lens mount has changed too many times to count.

Thanks for the input guys. Funny enough, I'm going to check out a D90 later this week because someone on craigslist is letting it go for $500 with the 18-55mm lens (!!!). I'm obviously going to give it a thorough looking over, first. Other than that, I think you guys are right, and I should probably hold on a bit and get a slightly newer body (like a D90).

D90 is a great body and $500 is a good deal. What kind of photography are you into?

The D80 is entry-level grade

No it isn't. Though I guess it's up to interpretation.

I'd recommend saving a bit more and getting a D90 though, if the D80 is in your sights Dave. Or if you can really wait it out and save a few more doubloons, go for the D7000. But if time is of the essence, I can tell you a D80 is a fine piece of hardware, far from "entry level".

the d80, $250-$300, isnt significantly cheaper then the d200, $350-$400, to warrant looking at. The d200 is superior in every way.

the real choice is between the d90 and d200, the d90 runs about $150 more but has better iso performance and slightly better image quality overall, it also records hd video. The only downsides are that its plastic and more cheaply built, like the d80, and wont meter with old manual focus lenses.

Id probably opt for a $400 d200, that way i have more $$ for lenses, and i would have the option of using nikons excellent vintage lenses.

D90 is a great body and $500 is a good deal. What kind of photography are you into?

Most of what I do right now is landscape and macro stuff. I would really like to get into portraits, but I don't have many photogenic friends.

The guy with the cheap D90 is currently looking for the USB cable so he can upload a picture and check the shutter count. I figure if the count is well below 50k, the body and lens are in nice shape, and both of them still have serial numbers on them, I'll go for it. It's a local sale, so I'll be able to check all of the camera's functions to insure they work.

FocusDave said:
Most of what I do right now is landscape and macro stuff. I would really like to get into portraits, but I don't have many photogenic friends.

The guy with the cheap D90 is currently looking for the USB cable so he can upload a picture and check the shutter count. I figure if the count is well below 50k, the body and lens are in nice shape, and both of them still have serial numbers on them, I'll go for it. It's a local sale, so I'll be able to check all of the camera's functions to insure they work.

I'd take a USB and a laptop and go check it out. Price is great... don't wait around cuz someone is going to snap it up to sell on ebay without him having to do a thing.

I'd take a USB and a laptop and go check it out. Price is great... don't wait around cuz someone is going to snap it up to sell on ebay without him having to do a thing.

Good point. Heck, I could do the same thing and start saving for a D7000 :p

The D80 is entry-level grade

No it isn't. Though I guess it's up to interpretation.
Nikon's numbering system is unambiguous. The Dxx and now Dxxxx numbered cameras (+ any letters) are all entry-level.

The Dxxx (+ any letters) are all prosumer grade.

The Dx (+ any letters) are all Pro grade.

Well I ended up finding a D90 with an 18-55mm VR lens for $500. It only had 2700 actuations. Go me!

NICE buy!!!

Most reactions

Back