Any singers or guitarists here?

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have wanted to learn to play guitar for freaking ever. I've been told I sing well, but regardless of what it sounds like I still love to do it :)

I know I want a steel string and I want full size. I'd like to go with a reputable brand but at the same time don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

I found this and wonder if it's too good to be true. Anyone know about this particular guitar, or maybe you have other suggestions?

Also, if there's anything I'm not considering that I should be, I'd love all the info you have to offer :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Jess. I play guitar and mandolin. My advise is to get a guitar that is ease(ier) to play and is set up well. That may mean spending a little more for it. Fender is a reputable brand but I have not played their acoustics.

If you have a guitar center or music store close by go look at a few and talk to them to see if they do set up on guitars and how much they charge.

If the string height is too much, it will be really hard to play and you won't want to practice with it.

Oh just some other free, friendly advice about acoustic guitar. Stay with it, it's going to be hard and your fingers are going to hurt, your hand may cramp up. But you will gain strength and callouses and it will getting more natural.

Oh and no matter what you think, it IS worth learning barre chords and suffering to learn to play them. Do it in the beginning when you are building strength and have the drive, it will save you pain later.

I agree with Ron; go to a local store (or even a Guitar Center/similar). The salespeople at every GC I've been to have been extremely helpful. They pretty much all play and will give you some really good recommendations.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you can, pay a little more for something a tad higher... My wife started out on one of those beginner setups and had outgrown it within a month. It didn't stay in tune, the strings were pretty much crap, and the sound wasn't there. She got so frustrated that she nearly gave up. She moved up to a Martin (with the help of it being near her birthday, haha), and she has no complaints. Granted, it's hard to compare a beginner setup with a mid-line Martin.

I've dabbled with the Ukulele, but I was never able to put the time into it that I wanted.

Look at the Takemine brand as well. They make quality stuff at good prices.

You need to try a bunch and make sure that your hand can comfortably fit around the neck, so that you can fret the notes easily.

Look at the Takemine brand as well. They make quality stuff at good prices.

You need to try a bunch and make sure that your hand can comfortably fit around the neck, so that you can fret the notes easily.
That's a really good point. Trying them out in person can really make the difference between learning how to play and giving up quickly. All depends on how it feels in your hands!

Guitars are like cameras, you get what you pay for but you shouldn't pay for something you might give up on. I have some old no-name electric that I play when the mood strikes. It sounds like **** but I mostly do blues music so it works.

Set yourself a $200 max and go from there. Playing a $10k gibson isn't going to make you sound any better if you can't play a simple scale.

Also youtube is your friend when it comes to learning. Keep practicing and you'll be fingering with the best of us.

Exactly Wade. Example. I have bigger than normal hands, so small necks aren't as comfortable to me (even though I play a mandolin which is small.) I really like the Gibson necks because they are beefier but I prefer the sound of the Martin guitars the best (well in my price range anyway.)

Playing a $10k gibson isn't going to make you sound any better if you can't play a simple scale.

Runnah, I'm not disagreeing with you on this but even a chromatic scale on a pre-war Martin sounds unbelievable.

For $10k it had better play itself and do the dishes.

lol, I don't know about that. (but then again, the best mandolins start in the $20K and the great ones go over $100K easily).

lol, I don't know about that. (but then again, the best mandolins start in the $20K and the great ones go over $100K easily).

Good grief

I'd feel slightly guilty playing smoke on the water with a guitar worth more than a loaded merc.

I understand. If you ever have seen a mandolin made (the F-type) and seen all the work that goes into building one and then compared the sound of the good ones, you'd see/hear the difference.

I've had $150 guitars and $2,000 guitars, there is a hugh difference. My Uncle has a custom built dreadnought that will be mine one day that is amazing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back