Any solid brand of CF card and SD card?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have several Sandisk cards and an expensive Hoodman CF card and cheaper Lexar CF card. All of them give me corrupt images once in a while. I don't know which brand I can trust. I guess no cards are perfect, and I have to deal with it.

If you are having several different cards giving you issues I suspect either hardware problem or more likely user issues.

If it is from a single camera the camera may need service.

Also 1 camera or a dozen cameras, there are things you can do to minimize issues.
First each card only goes into a single camera. Don't switch them around to save a couple of bucks.

Second, always make sure the camera is completely shut down before you remove a card from the camera. Immediately put the card into the card reader. The card reader should already be plugged into the computer. Download the images and make sure you properly eject the card from the computer. Don't just pull it out.

Third, put the card back in the camera, turn the camera on and reformat the card in the camera.

Don't use the USB cable to download images unless you absolutely have to. The camera USB port is the most often broken item on digital cameras.

Last edited:
I think the last time my SDHC cards were out of my camera bodies was when they were new. I never take them out, I always use the factory-supplied USB cable to download images, and I reformat the cards frequently but not every time. My disk drive has a little over 90,000 images right now and I've never had a card error, failure, or any other memory-related problem.

I've only had one card in my career give me issues and that was due to user issues of running it through the washing machine.

My workflow is one card, one camera. After shooting, shut down the camera, pull the card, upload and backup, then pop it back in to format it. I never use the delete all images, just a plain old format. This can get you in trouble if you don't backup before formatting though.

What is a fake memory card? It is a small capacity and slower card that has had it's firmware changed to report larger storage capacity. Once they reach their actual capacity they stop recording information - hence you lose pictures!
These "fake" cards use much cheaper smaller / slower memory chips. They install adulterated firmware on them to report larger capacities. And until tested, seem what they say.
One way to find out is to actually fill the card to stated capacity. And then read the card to see if all the files are actually stored on it!

Top brands are more likely to be faked than budget brands.
Most of my cards are cheap brands & I've very rarely had any corrupted images
I DO take my cards out to download the images, sometimes have to swap cards due to filling them up & very rarely reformat the cards.

The biggest problems I've had with a SD card where when the housing of one started coming apart. I could still read it but decided it better to simply retire it.

after two failed sandisk extreme pros (both replaced under RMAs with Sandisk), I'm using the transcend r90.

I've had great luck with Sony SD cards.

I have other cards but my primary CF cards and the ones that I purchase now are Lexar Professional. I have so far not had any issues with them.

I try to format the cards when I put them in the camera for use.

I've had no problem with my Sandisk Extreme Pros or even my much older Ultras on the D750 (and previous P7800, D600, D7000).

I've recently added a Lexar Pro UHS-II and Lexar Pro XQD for the D500.

Mine are all Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II for the speed. Not have any issues with them so far. Lexar would be the only other I would buy.

Starting with my first digital camera 14-15 years ago, I've used Sandisk exclusively without any failures. To protect myself from 'fake' cards, I buy from only 2 sources...B&H Photo and Amazon. Of course, the 'rules' indicated in a previous post such as turn off camera before removing card, etc are always followed, too.

Mine are all Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II for the speed. Not have any issues with them so far. Lexar would be the only other I would buy.

UHS-II doesnt make sense for us mere mortals with cameras that peg at UHS-I protocol speeds.

UHS-II doesnt make sense for us mere mortals with cameras that peg at UHS-I protocol speeds.
Time to upgrade and become an immoral ... I mean immortal !!

Most reactions

Back