Anybody find a hat that works well while shooting outdoors?

zulu42

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The sun finds its way to more of my scalp every year :(
I work and play outside a lot, and have accumulated a selection of hats that do well to block the sun. However, any of my hats that have enough brim to block the sun - have too much brim to hold the camera to my eye. Especially in vertical orientation.

I thought one of you might have found the perfect style of hat for shooting in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tilley. The one I'm wearing in the avatar. the brim is soft enough to just move out of the way when shooting and may actually help block light from the view finder.

good suggestions, thanks guys.

Search boonie hat. Some are vented like this one. Many have a chin strap for windy days. It'll tuck up inside if you don't need it. You can snap the sides up if you want a different look. Plus you can roll it up and throw it into pocket or pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Boonie-Hat-OUTDOOR-Activities/dp/B00IDA03W4

I have a couple in different camo patterns. Had them for years, mainly for fishing. They are great for preventing sunburn. Found they work great for photography because the brim is flexible.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Baseball cap just doesn't cut it for sun protection, especially at high elevation all day. Need the ears and back of my neck shaded.
I've been through a bunch of different boonie hats, and gotten fairly picky. A lot of them tend to blow down over my eyes in high wind (common in my area) and that annoys the heck out of me. I've found some stiffer brimmed boonie-type hats that work well for me, just not for photography.

I need the right stiffness and the right size brim to hold steady in wind but not be in the way of the camera.

I don't think I've ever had an actual Tilley, so I'll seek one out. The Outdoor Research hats look interesting but hard to tell online how stiff the brim is.

Thanks for the input!

I have a couple of Tilley's. One has a ventilated crown, for really hot weather. I'm a fair-skinned blond, and no baseball cap protects my neck and ears. Tilley's are a bit more expensive than others, but the adage, "you get what you pay for", is so apropos.

Another vote for a Tilly.
I have 2 but mostly wear my Tilly LTM7. It's ventilated and has a wide brim.
Tilly doesn't make the LTM7 any more so look at a LTM6 or LTM8.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Full brim but one made with that sweat wicking material, but a full brim is hard to go vertical. I also have a baseball cap type, made with sweat wicking material but also has a hanging flap to protect the neck. The flap is easily tucked into the cap when not needed. Flip it backwards with flap tucked for verticals. Of late I prefer a Tam type cap. It was much more class than a baseball cap. Looks good forwards or turned backwards (for verticals). But in hot weather, gotta go for sweat wicking material over style.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back