Anybody find a hat that works well while shooting outdoors?

I have a Tilley as well. But it's much more rigid and sized for my head. Costed a lot more and certainly won't be throwing it into a pack. Also tried a baseball cap made out of UV blocking material and a neck flap. Doesn't cover the ears and if it's windy, didn't cover my neck. Didn't wick sweat as advertised either. Waste of money.

I have more hats than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

I use a boonie hat. It protects my neck and the sides of my face, the brim is soft enough I don't even need to tilt it up, it travels well, has a chin strap in-case it's windy or I'm on a boat, and it doubles as a water dish if I'm on a walk with the dog.

Technically = Tam o’ Shanter

I see guys with hats like this. I admire it - looks good on the right dude. But, I dunno what really qualifies a guy to wear a Tam. For a bold hat move like that ... I feel like I would have to change my personality and/or identity to wear one. lol

Another vote for a Tilly.
I have 2 but mostly wear my Tilly LTM7. It's ventilated and has a wide brim.
Tilly doesn't make the LTM7 any more so look at a LTM6 or LTM8.

I really like those you linked. Your brim is similar, and doesn't interfere with the camera?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use one of these northface hats for hot weather sun protection. Generally while hiking or backpacking, but the brim is extremely flexible and moves out of the way to take photos.

The top of the hat is vented so well that the breeze still hits my head almost as much as if I wasn’t wearing a hat.

Love this thing.

Technically = Tam o’ Shanter

I see guys with hats like this. I admire it - looks good on the right dude. But, I dunno what really qualifies a guy to wear a Tam. ...

Good taste? :cool-48:

I have a few Tams made from different materials, leather, tight yarn, felt ... I often gets compliments. The Tam doesn't do well in heat. Working construction at Ft. Irwin, which is in the middle of the Mojave, I will swear by my sweat wicking materials. My hats, shirts, even a pant were made from this materials. In summer, I was the coolest due at Ft. Irwin.

What do you usually shoot?

Typically, I'm out on a hiking trail for 2 to 6 hours, don't stay in one spot much. I hike with my longer wildlife lens and stop periodically to shoot landscape. Also like walking in urban settings and it isn't unusual to put in 10 mile days.

I don't think I've ever had an actual Tilley, so I'll seek one out. The Outdoor Research hats look interesting but hard to tell online how stiff the brim is.

Thanks for the input!

What kind of stiffness in the brim are you looking for? It's not baseball cap stiff but also not flimsy that the wind will keep flipping it up.

It has to be stiff enough to hold steady in, say, 20mph wind, but pliable enough to put the camera to my eye without knocking the hat off. Maybe I want an impossible hat.

I'm buying one just to irritate the wife. I will hide it away and wear it on the first pool party at the in laws house. I'll wear a plaid shirt, shorts, tall tube socks, and my sandals. I have to let her go there first.

pics or it didn't happen...

I'm buying one just to irritate the wife. I will hide it away and wear it on the first pool party at the in laws house. I'll wear a plaid shirt, shorts, tall tube socks, and my sandals. I have to let her go there first.

pics or it didn't happen...
I'm the one with the camera. I'll have them use their cell phones....

I have both a Bersolino wool for cold and a cotton beret for warm weather. I shoot portraits and events and taking the time to turn a hat around to go to portrait mode can cause missing important shots. I rarely need a visor when shooting but if I do, the beret can be pulled forward. When you need a vertical shot, it just crushes back. Channeling my HCB. Besides, since I also speak french, chicks dig it. Au revoir.

Most reactions

Back