Anybody know how to fix halos?

nmasters

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I recently downloaded Silver Effects Pro 2 and have been using it to improve my B&W photos. However, I seem to always get a halo around my subject when I apply certain presets (high contrast high structure and wet rocks). I know i can fix this with cloning in photoshop (tedious), but I was wondering if you pros out there have a better method. Thanks for your help!

Here is an example of a photo edited with Silver Effects
I used the high contrast high structure preset and tweaked a few other settings.

Halo by nico418, on Flickr

Terry Leach said:
Don't know about your question, but I think the photo. Nice capture.

Thanks! I was thinking about putting c&c in the title, but didn't want to ask too much ;)

if you shoot the photo properly to begin with, you would not need to edit and get Halos from the editing. Problem solved.

Snakeguy101 said:
if you shoot the photo properly to begin with, you would not need to edit and get Halos from the editing. Problem solved.

Not necessarily, my exposure and white balance were spot on.
The only edit I am making is a conversion to black and white.

Halo's like that are caused by three things:

Not being careful enough with dodging/burning

For some reason you're doing HDR

or

You're cranking up the midtone contrast too high

The settings you are using create a faux HDR tone mapped effect. That is where the halo is from. After you select your preset, go in and adjust the sliders to get rid of the halos.

Structure in any NIK software when used too much, can cause haloing Structure is Edge contrast

naptime said:
i had something far more provocative... then i remembered the OP is a minor. :lol:

Haha only by a year ;) 18 in 11 months haha

....You're cranking up the midtone contrast too high
Yep. It looks like the preset is cranking up the mid-tone contrast to much and is editing the photo globally.

If you can edit locally instead. Select just the sky & trees, apply the preset. Select just the building and ground, apply the preset again.

Most reactions

Back