Anyone can do this job

... What proof do you have that he is wrong?

While surely it may be tacky for a professional in ANY area to post something like that looking for work, none of the given information indicates that he is NOT a professional photographer.

There have been countless threads about how equipment doesn't make the photographer. A Canon DSLR can take amazing photos in the right hands.

In fact, many photographers hold more than one job, and do a decent job on their photography profession. There are no pictures to prove that he is anything less than what he says he is. Do you (we?) doubt it because of your own information/prejudices/ideas about photography? Surely, but is that any reason to put the man down?

He never once claimed that "ANYONE CAN DO THIS JOB", and in fact, seemed to indicate that he has an eye for taking a picture.

He talks about a professional taking pictures that aren't as good as is, and several people on this thread have had similar experiences with wedding photographers who just aren't that great.

It seems to me, knowing that you yourself take pictures of dunes and what not, that you just seem a little teed off that this guy is invading your territory. I say, chill out, do your work, and hope there is enough work for both of you.

Besides, if his quality is REALLY lacking like you are assuming, the public will know soon enough.

Ryan

EDIT: ALso, remember there is a market for that ultra-cheap,not-that-great,almost-like-hiring-your-cousin, photographer, ESPECIALLY for weddings. I call it the Craigslist market. It's everywhere, and if your skilled and competant, it shouldn't eat your business.

It seems to me, knowing that you yourself take pictures of dunes and what not, that you just seem a little teed off that this guy is invading your territory. I say, chill out, do your work, and hope there is enough work for both of you.

I knew I should have put the little [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags in there.

I'm surprised this thread is even a thread. If something bothered me as much I'd express my concerns directly to the source rather than slipping off out of reach and gossiping.

What we have is a guy who's willing to do whatever it takes to support his family and get by. I truly admire that.

If he were local I'd call him up and have him change the alternator in my truck. If he did a good job I'd give him $20 more to take a picture of me next standing next to it.

I knew I should have put the little [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags in there.

I'm surprised this thread is even a thread. If something bothered me as much I'd express my concerns directly to the source rather than slipping off out of reach and gossiping.

What we have is a guy who's willing to do whatever it takes to support his family and get by. I truly admire that.

If he were local I'd call him up and have him change the alternator in my truck. If he did a good job I'd give him $20 more to take a picture of me next standing next to it.
Hahaha! Brilliant... I am a jack of all traits myself. I have taken some internet courses on photography but I am mostly self taught. Fumbled through some lighting technique but I'm getting a handle on that too. I am now a full-time photographer and making money... guessing there are a few professionals who started out this way.

I can see that his lack of professionalism has probably made his job search more difficult. Fortunately for me I was a professional businessman who was quite successful before I started my amature photography carreer. I hope he finds a good way to take care of his family that is more reliable for him. Desperation is a dark place but sometimes it can inspire you in new directions.

Learn from his post what not to do in your own advertising but I would let it go. Anyone who is capable of paying a decent wage for photographic images is going to look for a true professional. I think your job is safe.

Abraxas, my comment was to the OP. I understood the sarcasm in your post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back