Anyone else a TV show camera spotter?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know how many times I have watched TV shows and was more interested in what camera/lens combo they were using and if the images they showed on the screen represents the gear they were using.

I watched an episode of CSI: Cyber and noticed one of the forensic photographers was using a Nikon 105 2.8G and the picture they showed was a macro shot. I was surprised besides he was using the pop up flash!

Its kind of fun spotting what cameras the actors are using. The original CSI used a lot of Nikon D70's, my guess is that they were probably cheap to get for the show.

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of shows use Nikon cameras and very few Canon. I wonder why that is.

Person of Interest uses a mirrorless camera sometimes. Which would make sense. There was a short lived crime comedy called Battle Creek and the police department was low budget and they used old film DSLRs.

I think on an of episode of Dexter he was using a Nikon FX body with a 60mm macro lens and the Nikon R1C1 system.

Sometimes I love the details in these shows to satisfy us photo nerds. You can tell the shows who are getting advice from actual photographers and shows who are not.

What have you noticed?

Last edited:
Perhaps I notice too much. I can't watch most TV or movies because of the mistakes I see.

"Another thing I noticed is that a lot of shows use Nikon cameras and very few Canon. I wonder why that is."

Maybe for the same reason that you see more Macs than Windows machines in movies.

Other than that, I can't help you because I don't watch TV.

"Another thing I noticed is that a lot of shows use Nikon cameras and very few Canon. I wonder why that is."

Maybe for the same reason that you see more Macs than Windows machines in movies.

Other than that, I can't help you because I don't watch TV.

I see more linux based machines than either. Haha

The only thing that I've started to notice, and it has really bugged me, are shows where someone is taking family or wedding photos and they are right on top of the people, right up in their faces, using about a 300mm lens!!!

The only thing that I've started to notice, and it has really bugged me, are shows where someone is taking family or wedding photos and they are right on top of the people, right up in their faces, using about a 300mm lens!!!

For those brides that really want to remember what their nostrils looked like on their wedding day...

I notice more and more crap on TV. I really need to cut the cord, the power cord, not the cable cord.

I notice more and more crap on TV. I really need to cut the cord, the power cord, not the cable cord.

I like watching TV shows, some of it is crap indeed and some of it is good. But then again I'm into that stuff and some aren't.

I like old movies from the '40s and love to see the old press cameras in action. I was watching some oldies the other day with flappers and Model Ts and was into the dresses and hats - and cameras!

There's one silent movie with Buster Keaton where he's got this camera that had the developing in camera - never had seen anything like that and it was the coolest thing.

Went to see Pixels and what jumped out to me was the SX-70 in one scene, at least that is what I remember from that movie.

Went to see Pixels and what jumped out to me was the SX-70 in one scene, at least that is what I remember from that movie.

It does look like a good movie to watch while stoned.

Ronin: in a hotel lobby - they hand their camera to some tourists and ask them to take their picture, while the actual surveillance targets they want photos of are stood nearby behind them. It's a Contax (don't recall which SLR, AX maybe).

I rarely watch tv or movies. On the rare occasion that I do, I'm usually paying attention to the lighting/ depth of field and processing used to set the mood.

In Apocalypse Now - what are the cameras Dennis Hopper uses?

I was watching something my wife put on but can't recall what it was but I think it was a private eye investing and was taking shots off a roof top of a building with a big white lens and it was So obvious it was Canon.I just couldn't help thinking how could no one not notice him as it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Yes I take notice what cameras when they present them self.I notice the CSI shows use Nikons and usually set up with the ring flash for the crime scene.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back