Did anyone else notice?

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I had the hearings on TV yesterday and, during the first break, the camera panned around the room showing all the photographers milling about. I spotted a guy using what looked to be like a wooden camera with a waist-level viewer. I watched him make an exposure, replace the dark slide into the 4x5 film holder, flip it around and remove the other slide for the next shot.

I had NO idea anyone would still be doing this at an event like this.

David Burnett shot some really cool photos at the last Olympics using a large format camera. He also covered,I believe, the last Obama election with the same equipment. Some of the photos were quite interesting. Of course when one uses a large format camera and a 200 to 240 millimeter lens, there is a different look for each picture angle. Over the last 20 years or so we have grown accustomed to a lot of half-frame digital "looks " from aps-c and aps-h cameras in heavy use among the Press Corps.

A good comparison would be the tight headshots that Chuck Close used to do using a 4 by 5 and 360 mm lens. His photos had so little depth of field that the ears of people were well out of focus, while their eyes and noses were in-focus.

Last edited:
I didn't notice that!

But huzzah. :icon_cheers: Frankly, when you get to that level, the equipment is just an extension of your hands. It stood out to others, but he was just focused on the job.

Most reactions

Back